Growing Thai Lao Green Stripe Eggplant in a container

fallmistsApril 6, 2008

I'm thinking about attempting to grow Lao Green Stripe Eggplant indoors in a container because I have no access to an actual garden (or patio or anything similar). My apartment gets a huge amount of sun, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone tried this? I'd appreciate any advice, particularly regarding container size/depth and soil type/brand (no garden store within walking distance; the local hardware store only carries Hyponex and Miracle Gro). Am I crazy to even think of attempting this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kojac_phx(9b)

I'm growing them for the first time this year out in the garden, but will share what I know. From Seedman: "Requires 75°+ soil temp to germinate. Very unusual and delicious eggplant from Thailand that is about 2" round and is green on top, splashed with white on bottom. One of the few eggplants that can be grown in containers." Plant at 1/2". Since these are usually grown in the tropics, I would use a cactus soil/perlite mix to allow good drainage. My wife's friend grows them in a raised bed, as we are for our garden. The plants get pretty big, 3-4' tall, 2-3' wide, so I'd guess a 12-15" pot should work. I'm also trying the purple ball variety and the Thai green pea eggplants. I'll have to let you know how they do in a couple months.

Bookmark   April 8, 2008 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
forestelves
Angelica keiskei
Any one heard of this taiwanese vegetable? translated...
ladyjenny
Chinese Toon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toona_sinensis
JCTsai
Okinawan sweet potato in San Diego
I am growing the Okinawan sweet potato for the first...
ZoeMom
have anybody purchased plants from this website
Hi Friends, I am trying to buy few plants from this...
vid_nand
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™