Deer Resistant Vegetables?

katiejApril 20, 2006

Hi,

I have 2 areas to garden with this year: 1 is fenced and therefore protected from deer, and 1 is not. I'm a little pressed for space in my deer protected area, and I was wondering whether bitter melon might be deer-resistant? It's so bitter, I can't imagine that they'd like it, but maybe the foliage and leaves are quite tasty-- I don't know, I've never planted it before (although I've cooked with it and I love the taste!)

I've figured out which herbs are deer resistant, so now I'm trying to figure out what vegetables (I'm willing to try anything!) the deer might avoid. Any suggestions?

-Katie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digit(ID/WA)

KatieJ, I've read that there are herbs that deer won't eat but I have been amazed at what deer WILL eat.

When I lived far out in the country, their favorite was the tomatoes - foliage, fruit, eÂt. all. They also cropped the potato leaves. Now, these things are supposed to be, at least, mildly poisonous. But, they were preferred!

What saved my garden during those days was a small dog that would valiantly chase after them. I'd call her back before she got into any trouble. There were plenty of hunters in this locality and the deer were not especially courageous.

Other than the herbs that I've read about and you probably already know, I don't have any fool proof ideas about what deer won't eat. And, altho' we grow bitter melon, we no longer live where deer are a problem.

Here are some ideas on repellents from the University of Connecticut, there's a link at the bottom.:

Bars of fragrant soap
eggs and water applied to the ground using a sprayer
mixture of bone meal plus blood meal
Noise making devices and lights
Human hair
feathermeal
hot pepper sauce
urine of large predators, and
Hinder and Repel (ammonium soaps of higher fatty acids)

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: UConn repellents

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 12:22AM
Violet_Z6(6a)

Katie,

Just because "bitter"ness is a flavor most humans do not prefer, doesn't mean deer think the same way.

I agree with Steve, look into fencing that other area or grow your vegetables in your fenced in area. It doesn't matter what you grow. You'll always worry. What one deer doesn't like, another will.

If you're "pressed for space" try Square Foot Gardening methods which yeild 100% of the produce in 20% of the space. You can grow vertically as well:

Bookmark   April 21, 2006 at 5:43AM
farmfreedom

Deer can jump a 10 foot fence maybe a 15 foot one . They eat poison ivy as forage . Perhaps they would not eat hot pepper plants (habenero) wich are to hot or jicama which is poisonous .

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
Wasabi 'like' veggie
I was watching TV while having my car fixed and there...
kkfromnj
Bac Ha
Today, I went to the Wal-Mart store and saw them displayed...
seeds6
forestelves
Looking for fast growing, mild greens
Can anyone suggest very fast-growing part-shade tolerant...
saxonmjs
lemon grass rooting from less base than I thought possible
I'd scrutinized the lemon grass at the local stores...
merrybookwyrm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™