scientific name for 2 Filipino vegetables

maspirasjr(zone 8)May 13, 2004

Hi folks:

I'm trying to search for the scientific name of two vegetables from the Philippines. The first is called "bataw" and the second is called "sigadilyas". I suspect the two might be members of the Leguminosae (Fabaceae), especially the first, as the seeds came in a flattened pod. Maybe Violet or Rose-Marie (or anyone else) might know? Thanks for your help!

Marcelo

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Violet_Z6(6a)

Marcelo,

Psophocarpus tetragonolobus
Filipino: sigarilyis, sigarillas, sigadillas, seguidillas
English: winged bean, Goa bean, Asparagus Bean

Lablab purpureus
Filipino: bataw
English: hyacinth bean

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 11:13AM
chaman(z7MD)

Congratulation Violet.

chiman

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 3:28PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

? LOL....

Let's see if they're what Marcelo is looking for.

:)

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 4:45PM
maspirasjr(zone 8)

Hi Violet, your wealth of info. and knowledge on Asian vegetables never ceases to amaze me. I don't know how you do it, but you always come up with the responses and they are always correct :-)!

These are indeed the vegetables. Thanks so much!

Marcelo

Bookmark   May 13, 2004 at 4:54PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

Glad to be able to help Marcelo. Will you be growing these in your garden or preparing them for dinner someday?

Bookmark   May 14, 2004 at 1:25AM
Lalamtx24869(Fort Worth, TX)

The sigadilyas is a Winged Bean in English as posted by VoiletZ6. She is right. I think the other one is similar to Lima Beans.

Bookmark   May 17, 2004 at 6:16PM
nuxindica

the bean is also popular with Indians who know it as papri in Gujerati. It needs thorough cooking, and some help with seasoning.

Bookmark   June 10, 2004 at 8:27PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

nuxindica,

Do you have a recipe or two that you can share?
(or anyone else feel free as well)

;)

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 3:44PM
Lizzz4_8(z9 CA,)

hello everyone,
I am new in this forum. I was reading through the tread and wishing someone might ask about this vegies.:-) thanks for posting about these vegies, these is my favorite veggies for sinigang :-) (pork or beef neck bones sour soup) I can't wait to get some seeds to share with my mom and try to plant.
Thank you very much Marcelo and Violeta for finding the scientific name so we can order some seeds and try to plant them, and have a yummy dishes,, I have a couple of recipe for these veggies.

:-)

Bookmark   December 17, 2005 at 11:09PM
rain1950(W. WA z8)

As I spent almost my entire 4 years of Navy time in the Orient; I acquired a taste for the food; now I'm becoming interested in growing it. Reading about the Winged Bean prior to this; all parts of the plant are edible, even the roots. Sounds like a very valuable type of plant

Bookmark   December 18, 2005 at 9:59AM
Violet_Z6(6a)

Do you have recipes Rain1950?

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 10:52AM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

New to this forum... most varieties of Winged Bean (Psophocarpus tetragonolobus) are daylength-sensitive, and will not produce pods (or tubers) outside the tropics. There is a day-neutral variety sold by ECHO (a non-profit out of Florida), and one previously carried by J.L. Hudson. I will be trialing both this year in Zone 5, I'll let you know the results. Hyacinth bean (Lablab purpureus, or more commonly known as Dolichos lablab) should be eaten only after research into proper methods of preparation (many Filipinos know this), because some parts are toxic, especially the dry seeds.

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 2:29AM
More Discussions
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
Bac Ha
Today, I went to the Wal-Mart store and saw them displayed...
seeds6
forestelves
Angelica keiskei
Any one heard of this taiwanese vegetable? translated...
ladyjenny
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/ Leeks,...
JCTsai
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™