bitter melon juice improved

janoyanMay 2, 2010

Hi:

For those, like me, who find the bitter taste of the bitter melon juice somewhat over powering, here is a tip.

Add a tea spoon of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar to a 1/2 cup of the bitter melon juice and notice the difference.

However, it has to be the Organice ACV and not the clear regular vinegar that is usually sold in the supernarkets, and do cost more.

I use the Bragg's Organic ACV. However they are not that easy to find. In Oregon the Roth Supermarkets carry them. Some Safeway store do also. They are sold on line for a little more money.

By the way, I have no financial connections with any of above mentioned business concerned.

Good luck

Janoyan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

I wasn't planning to use my bitter melon for juice. Do you have suggesions for serving it in other ways, such as stir fried, curried or stuffed.

Jim

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 1:06PM
namfon

jimster -

I saute' a little garlic and onion in oil and then lightly fry up some diced bitter melon and mushrooms then add beaten eggs.

Variations include adding diced tomatoes, chilis and/or a bit of cheese.

This scambled egg, omelette - like dish is one I like for breakfast, before a day in the garden.

Nam

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 5:48PM
janoyan

Jim:
There are many ways to use bitter melon in cooking.
Stir fry is one, combine it with union, sun dried tomatoes, mushrooms, season them and add the sauces of your choice.
I also stuff them. Cut horizontally, clean out the inside with a sharp knife and a tea spoon. Then stuff with similar combination as the stir fry recipe above , you may include some cooked rice, and even some chopped small pieces of the bitter melon in the combination. Line them up in a pan, pour a thick tomatoe sauce over them and in to the oven for about 45 minutes. I also add a few table spoons of water to the pan to keep it nice and moist while cookinbg.
If you are against the bitter taste, you may add some organic apple cider vinegar and perhaps some honey during the preperation.
Best of luck
Janoyan

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 7:23PM
tracydr(9b)

I've been wanting to try bitter melon. Why do people eat it if theydont like the bitter taste?

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 5:35PM
gardendawgie(5)

Why do I eat hot peppers when it burns my mouth?

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 12:50PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Thanks for the cooking suggestions, Nam and Janoyan.

Jim

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 1:47AM
More Discussions
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
Bac Ha
Today, I went to the Wal-Mart store and saw them displayed...
seeds6
Tandaljo
Pic. of Tandaljo This year I have added one more vegetable...
chaman
Malabar spinach winter care
Hi, I have one healthy green Malabar spinach vine. Any...
aaaaaaaa
Growing Wasabi Indoors
I have some wasabi plants coming in in the next week...
Edymnion
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™