Japanese eggplant not sprouting

anasophiaMay 21, 2006

This is my first time doing a veggie garden, and everything has come up so far, except the Japanese eggplant. I tried two plantings in the last month and a half, both in the same area-- lots of sun. The peas have come up in that area but not the eggplant. Is there anything special I should know about the soil for these guys?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Violet_Z6(6a)

Try planting them in sterile growing medium. Eggplant seeds need warm soil to. germinate! The best germination rates occur when the soil temperature is between 72 to 80 degrees F.

Bookmark   May 21, 2006 at 12:02PM
digit(ID/WA)

You are a little late starting eggplant seed, Anasophia.

I'm only a couple hours drive from the northeast corner of Oregon and considerably higher in elevation than the Willamette or the Rogue valleys.

I planted 5 eggplants out of 4 inch pots into the garden this afternoon. The rest of them will go in tomorrow. These plants were started indoors during the 1st week of March.

I suppose that people in zone 9 or 10 can direct-seed eggplant but I had no idea that an Oregon gardener could do this. Whaddya think about purchasing some plants at your local farmers' market?

Steve

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 12:05AM
bobolink(z6 MA)

I tried starting Asian eggplants from seeds for 2 years without much sucess. The variety last year was Ichiban, a Japanese long purple type, zero germination. The method was wrapping seeds in wet paper towel, put in sandwich bag, and leave it on top of frige. This works for tomato seeds as old as 10 years. This year I started 20 PingTung Long, a Taiwanese long purple variety, I got 3 seeds germinated.

I think I will just buy seedlings next year ...

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 4:39PM
digit(ID/WA)

We have a little trouble growing eggplant because of our cool nights and short season - many US standards are out.

Dusky has turned into a fairly consistent performer but this year, we are also growing Applegreen, recommended by a Colorado gardener with only about a 90 day growing season.

Asian types - most have been not very productive with fruit so small as to be nearly unusable. We bought Yasakanaga Hybrid seed from Kitizawa this year. The plants look really good and are taller than either of the other 2. Germination was also very good.

We start all of our seed in plastic cookie boxes on top of the refrigerator in regular potting soil. It is fairly warm on the refrigerator (above 70) day & night. The only problem with veggie seed germination this year, that I can remember, was some older tomato seed.

I haven't done the "between the paper towels" approach in years - too absent minded to keep them moist. Poor germination indoors, I think, is mostly the fault of the seed companies - poor quality control.

Steve

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 9:41AM
Violet_Z6(6a)

Eggplant likes it's soil temperature hot. At a soil temp of 86 F degrees, it takes 6 days to germinate.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 10:24AM
bobolink(z6 MA)

Wow! 86 degrees. I'll remember that next year. Perhaps a light bulb in closed box would do.

Thx violet.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 12:32PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

Seedling Heat Mats work better.

"How long does it take for those seeds to sprout? At 40 degrees F, carrots take 50 days to sprout. 50 DAYS! Wow that is almost 2 MONTHS, of course the soil warms gradually so they finally do sprout sooner but think of all the bad things that can happen to those seeds in that time period.

Now look at the time to sprout in the late summer when the soil temperature might be around 70 degrees. Carrots take 6 days ! What a difference - the same is true of every other type of seed.
Beets: 40 days versus 6 days.
Onions: 30 days versus 4 days.
Peas: 40 days versus 7 days.
Spinach: 25 days versus 5 days."

So 80ðF - 85ðF is optimum for the most rapid germination. Greenhouses know this which is why they often use heating pads or systems under their seed trays to make the most efficient use of time management.

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 2:55PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Top of fridge works great for me. I do tomatoes, peppers and egg plant that way.

Jim

Bookmark   May 23, 2006 at 8:46PM
chaman(z7MD)

Sow the seeds in the pots where you have planted the plants like Jasmine etc. and kept the pots inside the house.Put the seeds at the edge of the pot in early March. Seeds will germinate some time in May.Take the pot outside by end of
May for hardening.After few days plant them in garden bed.
This method works fine with pepper and egg plant seeds.

Bookmark   May 25, 2006 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Growing Wasabi Indoors
I have some wasabi plants coming in in the next week...
Edymnion
few more tindora cuttings and roots available
free, only you have to pay the shiiping costs for a...
eswar
Anyone in San Diego have any luck with Red Perilla/shiso?
My mother is from Japan and makes the most amazing...
HeyJude2012
Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group
Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group. As...
chadmd
care for curry leaf plant
I have this curry leaf plant ( also called curry patha)....
crystalgeorgia
Sponsored Products
Teak Tub Steps
Signature Hardware
Seda France Japanese Quince Toile Room Mist
$24.50 | FRONTGATE
Eggplant Textured Silk 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Uni Semi-Flushmount by Troy Lighting
$836.00 | Lumens
Serena & Lily Typewriter Letter Pillows
Serena & Lily