Growing Snake gourd from seed

xman(7/8)May 31, 2012

Hello,

I planted about 10 seeds of Snake gourd (Indian variety) that I got from an online source, but none sprouted.

All my other gourds/vegetable seeds sprouted just fine.

I have tried soaking the seeds in water for 24 hours before planting, still nothing.

Is there something more that needs to be done to successfully sprout snake gourd seeds? How long do these take in general to sprout?

thanks,

xman

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aaaaaaaa(6)

xman--not sure where you live and temps there. However, in NJ temps, I soak snake gourd seeds over night in warm water; next, break open the hard shell very carefully, so that I do not damage the seed inside. Then, sow this seed in good potting soil and leave the container in warm place. I do see sprout in about 7 to 10 days.

I have heard members saying that they place in damp paper napkin or in a zip lock bags. This also helps in sprouting. I have tried this method too---and it works well.
Anna

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 12:22PM
xman(7/8)

Thanks Anna for your reply. I live in TX, so the temperatures are in the 90s.

Do you break and remove the hard shell completely, leaving only the green cotyledons before planting the seed?

As for the paper napkin or zip lock bags, do you also have to remove the seed shell too?

thanks,
xman

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 1:48PM
sagardener(8)

If you try to plant the snake gourds too soon they won't sprout. I live in TX too. The way I did it this year was by using the paper towel method. First soak a paper towel in water and squeeze it ( do not dry squeeze. There should not be water when you touch it) In the middle arrange the seeds flat. close all the sides and put the paer towel in a ziplock (sandwich size) bag. Place this bag in indirect sunlight like in a covered patio. In three to four days u see the roots growing and the shells opened. Now you take the seeds carefully and plant directly in the loose soil where ever you want to plant the vine. Plant the seeds shallow. Water 2 times a day. In less than a week the seeds will sprout.

Hope this helps.

Yamini

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 6:03PM
sharmigarden

Hello XMAN,
I live in texas too..
Are you watering them a lot and there is not much sun in that area?
Mine have done well and i recently got a bounty of five gourds.
Choose a sunny spot....it should work.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 2:20PM
xman(7/8)

Hi,

I may have had a bad batch of seeds. I got some more seeds and planted 5 of them and all five have sprouted. Thanks for all the advice.

xman

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:03PM
bdharmav

Hello All, is it too late now to plant Snake gourd seeds? I live in CA.

Thanks

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 9:37PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

Where in CA are you at? what is your zone ? what are your summer temperature like ? when you expect to get the first frost?

Gourds need about 120 days to mature(like bottle gourds). But if harvest them when they are young, unripe then probably will not need 120 day. It is like growing cucumber and watermelon.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 5:14AM
plantlover13(5)

To plant my seeds, i got seeds from india (unnamed variety, long type). I put them in a paper towel, and 50% broke the seed shell. THen, i stuck them in dirt and viola! i now have two healthy snake gourd plants.

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 7:52PM
Vaibhav

Hi Can I get some snake gourd seeds? Thanks - Vaibhav

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 12:40PM
bdharmav

I'm in San Jose, CA -> northern CA. The summer gets to 90F sometimes... mostly in 80s. The first frost is most likely (if at all it happens) is Dec 11 (according to google). So, I planted them... and watering. Wondering if they will ever sprout.

Thanks

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 1:41AM
yli_123

can someone please share where do you order good snake gourd seeds?

I tried this year and the seeds didn't germinate at all and would love to try again next year with seeds from good source

thanks

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 2:08PM
xman(7/8)

YLI_123,

I have had good results from seeds that I got from Seeds of India online. The temperatures outside should be above 85 or 90 degrees for the seeds to sprout well.

xman

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 3:26PM
JCTsai(8B - Jacksonville, FL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfyF1OQm2Fw

Snake Gourd Seeds - A "How To" on germinating and sowing the seeds.

Bookmark   November 28, 2014 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
looking for bitter melon and lemongrass seed
I am diabetic and heard that bitter melon and lemon...
frdannylturner
Anyone in San Diego have any luck with Red Perilla/shiso?
My mother is from Japan and makes the most amazing...
HeyJude2012
have anybody purchased plants from this website
Hi Friends, I am trying to buy few plants from this...
vid_nand
wanted Murraya koenigii (curry plant) sappling
Hi friends, We recently move to Los Angeles area(Torrance,...
vid_nand
Kikuza squash
HI gardeners: Many months ago I posted looking for...
garlicgrower
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™