Chinese Cucumber?

HENRYSLAWEK(5A5B)May 18, 2004

First time going to grow Chinese Cucumber and from the picture (in "Richter's Catalogue) it looks like it grows up and not on the ground. Is that so? The package doesn't really give much info. Does it need stalking?

Is it worth growing?

Thanks for any info.

Henry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Violet_Z6(6a)

Henry,

What you have is Trichosanthes kirilowii. It is also commonly called mongolian snake gourd. It can grow along the ground or climb much like an icebox watermelon or small pumpkin.

Whether it's worth growing or not depends on what you want to do with it. It's not usually eaten as a vegetable but rather for medicinal purposes. There are other "chinese cucumbers" used as a vegetable such as luffa acutangula, "Suyo Long" Cucumber, or any of the following Asian Cucumbers.

Bookmark   May 18, 2004 at 2:56PM
HENRYSLAWEK(5A5B)

Thanks a lot Violet. I always forget about "google".
Henry

Bookmark   May 19, 2004 at 12:41PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

lol... if it's not the Trichosanthes kirilowii listed on their website, then it's the Cucumis sativus they have in their printed catalog. Yes, go ahead and give it some well supported chicken wire, or other support, this way the cucumbers will be ideally formed.

Bookmark   May 19, 2004 at 1:19PM
More Discussions
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/ Leeks,...
JCTsai
have anybody purchased plants from this website
Hi Friends, I am trying to buy few plants from this...
vid_nand
Okinawan sweet potato in San Diego
I am growing the Okinawan sweet potato for the first...
ZoeMom
Chinese Toon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toona_sinensis
JCTsai
Tandaljo
Pic. of Tandaljo This year I have added one more vegetable...
chaman
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™