Asian pear trees 5 years later

kubotabx2200(Zone 5b NH)June 8, 2007

Yes I know this is the Asian VEGETABLES forum but I thought some of you might be interested in the progress of 4 Asian pear trees I planted in a new orchard 5 years ago. 3 Shinseiki pears and 1 Hosui. Here it was in May 2003, just tiny little sticks:

[one of the Shinseiki pears is mislabelled a Champion peach in the first photo]

Now, here is what they look like in May 2007. They are very tall and slender. The one in front is about 10 feet tall now.

Growing fruit trees is a lot different than vegetable gardening, for one thing it takes years before they produce anything. It takes a lot of patience. And though I had a few Asians pears last year, this year the trees are 5 years old and are starting to grow a lot of pears. The pears grow in clusters of 5 and I have to thin them to 1 or 2 pears per cluster so I will get big Asian pears by the end of the summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Violet_Z6(6a)

Thanks for sharing kubotabx2200. Having worked with the conservation department, I suggest you look into pruning of your fruit trees which will make them stronger and yield more over time. You can check with a certified arborist or see the info here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning and Training Apple and Pear Trees

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 5:08PM
bai_graprao(5)

Nice Pics, Thanks for sharing

Bookmark   March 7, 2009 at 7:25PM
californian

Hope your Hosui doesn't get fireblight. I had a Hosui, Shinseki, and 20th Century, and the Hosui although stragly looking produced the biggest, best fruit. Unfortunately it caught a bad case of fireblight and was killed by it. I kept cutting off the infected branches and leaves until there was nothing left of the tree. Someone posted on another thread that Hosui is supposed to be a magnet for fireblight.

Bookmark   March 8, 2009 at 3:30PM
jwr6404(8B Wa)

I have a half dozen Asian Pears as well. 3 each Don Bae aka Korean Giant,1 Hosui and 2 Yoinishi which is the ultimate pollinator of Asian Pears. Taste great also. To get the best Pollinization for the Pears and 4 Apples I maintain Mason Bees in my front and back yards.

Bookmark   March 17, 2009 at 12:49AM
bayani

Inspiring pictures! I am planning to buy Asian pear trees to plant in the front yard where I have three big flowering Bradford pears.

Are Asian pear trees as ornamental as the ones I already have?

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 6:27AM
arizsun

My first name is sort like "scent of asian pear" so I love (well, my father too who named me) asian pear.

The best variety is called "shinko" most crisp, juicy of all. Shinseki is closest to it.

Let us know your tasting comparison!

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 2:12PM
emmers_m(9a/Sunset 7 N Cal)

Any pest problems with the asian pears?

I'd like to grow some fruit trees but the advice has been very discouraging (even from my county ext.) - can't grow frut trees in NJ without spraying intensively. I was hoping asian pears might avoid some of that.

Plus, they're great - the best qualities of both pears and apples!

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 5:52PM
TheDerek

Any updates on these trees? New pictures would be great! Also I noticed that you let a lot of grass grow between your trees. They would love it if you put 3-5 inches on wood chips around them out to, or a foot past the drip line! Around here our local dump will fill the back of my pickup with wood chips for just a few dollars, works great for around my trees and under my grape trellis's.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 4:46PM
Avocado101(9A Southern California)

I have newly planted a 20th Century Pear last Fall. It hasn't put out any new growth yet. While trying to figure out when it is suppose to put out new growth, I ran into a video showing how the branches are spread out. Also the grove has wire supports (I can't figure out why). The trees in the video are very mature, and I was thinking of spreading the branches like it on the video, if it ever grows.

Here is a link that might be useful: 20th Century Pear Video

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 11:02PM
dramas4u

woww.... thanks for sharing... =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pakistani Dramas

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:41AM
superOK

I second that. Would love to see how they're doing in 2013.

Bookmark   June 3, 2013 at 3:55AM
BJSmith(7b)

HI, JWR!
You mentioned that Yoinishi is the ultimate pollinator for Asian pears. I have an unknown variety of Asian Pear that I just planted. The tag reads only "Asian Pear" but gives neither the cultivar or nursery name. I also planted an Ayers, which I've read has sterile pollen, and a Kieffer, which is also fairly early blooming. Is there a benefit to sticking with another Asian pear variety? I'm very new to growing fruit trees! Thanks for any help you can offer.
Betty Smith

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 10:13PM
More Discussions
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
Angelica keiskei
Any one heard of this taiwanese vegetable? translated...
ladyjenny
Wasabi 'like' veggie
I was watching TV while having my car fixed and there...
kkfromnj
Don't buy bitter melon seeds
At my first attempt to germinate bitter melon from...
janoyan
Anyone in San Diego have any luck with Red Perilla/shiso?
My mother is from Japan and makes the most amazing...
HeyJude2012
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™