Need advice:trim suspicious area off?

rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)February 8, 2014

I was checking on several bulbs that I have growing under lights, and the one pictured had turned a different color from the others, and then I saw the start of rot at the base of the leaves. This one is mandonii, and I'd hate to lose it. Fortunately it's produced at least two rooted offsets. I only noticed this as I was running out the door to an appointment but the plan is to peel off the bad part and treat it with physan as soon as I return in a couple of hours.

Assuming/hoping that any rot doesn't extend into the core, how deeply can I peel into the top of the bulb without killing it? If the rot does go deep, is it best to try to extract healthy parts of the basal plate and see if offsets can be coaxed from it, a basic sphag-and-bag?

Any first-hand experience with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--Rick in CT (pic #2 in next posting.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

pic #2:

Bookmark   February 8, 2014 at 7:44PM
oleg9grower

In my opinion with the basal plate okay, good roots. Just maybe the bulb is dipped into the soil or too much moisture when watering? I would have handled the bulb dry powder Benlate and planted so that the whole of the bulb above the soil was.

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 12:54AM
jstropic

The bulb doesn't look bad to me, although it looks wet. It doesn't do well outside for me as I am in a high humidity area like Maria. According to prior posts, it seems to do well in dry climates (i.e. Arizona), so maybe you want it in a mix that has a high grit content for really fast draining. That might allow you to water the same as your other plants while giving it the conditions it wants. Just a thought, - J

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 8:34AM
rredbbeard(SE CT USA/zone 6)

When I explored it cautiously, the black areas turned out to be just a dried out part of the outermost layer, which the bulb was shedding. It had been in a combination of equal parts scoria, cocoa husk and cactus soil, and now it's in 50/50 cactus/scoria. My regret is that I removed one of the offsets which was a bit premature although it has one little root. A second offset was a little more developed with more roots, and was pretty well detached already, and I'm watching them both carefully. I started using scoria last year for a lot of epiphytic/semi-epiphytic plants, and its great stuff!

This particular bulb is bukasovii, and seems to offset early and often, a good thing!

Thanks for the insights.

--Rick in CT

Bookmark   February 9, 2014 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
My new addition ... Voodoo
Can someone please tell me about voodoo? Is it a good...
jessiann63
Mr. Patchy
Both flowers have these white patches, non other around...
brigarif Khan
My uni-colours
The second to follow
brigarif Khan
a few blooms
Hello Everyone! Here are some flowers that have opened...
chinhster
My doubles
My Hippeastrums which I jokingly called Mutts are actually...
brigarif Khan
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
Home Depot
Solid Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Lite Source Farren Modern Dark Bronze Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Sunset Trading Drop Leaf Extension Table in Antique Black with Cherry Finish Top
Beyond Stores
simplehuman Moisturizing Lavender/Vitamin E Soap Refill
$9.50 | FRONTGATE
Aviary Area Rug II
Home Decorators Collection
Area Rug: Ocean Reef Beige 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot
Stacy Garcia Rain Metal 4-Light Multi Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™