Is black nightshade edible?

DrHorticulture_(Z3 Central Saskatchewan)June 29, 2005

My Asian & Indian friends tell me that the ripe berries are quite edible. I know it's not the same as deadly nightshade but I'm still leery. Anyone know?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

There are probably enough plants called Black Nightshade that you should be very careful which one you have. It is a huge family with several toxic members.

And remember that "the dosage makes the poison". Some member of this family have a reputation for being edible cooked, but not raw, too. I ordered some non-tomato members of the nightshade family this year (two with black berries), but didn't get the seeds planted in time for this year.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 3:36PM
gardengg(5 IL)

I had used what is called Solanum Nigrum, in India - especially the leaves and ripe berries - with lot of success - to treat sores in mouth.

Here in the US, though I located them with good fruits right in my backyard, I found them to be quite bitter.

However, here are some info about the plant itself. See the note about the ripe berries. It may be worth to take it to a horticultural dept in a nearby university and test it out.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/plant/solanum.htm#SectionTitle:2.5%20Poisonous%20parts

Ggg

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 11:47PM
PaulNS(NS zone 6a)

There was a thread about this on the herbalism forum...

Here is a link that might be useful: nightshade

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 4:25PM
PaulNS(NS zone 6a)

in the herbs forum

Here is a link that might be useful: herbs

Bookmark   May 7, 2006 at 4:28PM
gw:ddw-wa

I'm 75 now but as a kid in the 30's in South Dakota,my Mom had night shade plants in her garden. The night shades were about the size of peas. They were shiny black when she picked them and she made a sauce with them that we ate for dessert. You would slowly pour thick cream on the black sauce and make a design with the white cream till it slowly sunk into the sauce. It was so so good. Thanks for bringing back the memory.

Bookmark   August 18, 2006 at 9:49PM
grovespirit(Zone 9)

Different varieties of black nightshade have different levels of poison in them, so it depends on what variety you have. Some varieties are safe to eat raw, others must be thoroughly cooked to destroy the poison.

Bookmark   November 6, 2006 at 4:55AM
wtliftr

depends on which "black nightshade". The "black nightshade" native to the US (Southern US I know for a fact) is actually S. americanum. It has small berries in a small cluster that are SHINY black when ripe. If these are fully ripe, they are indeed quite edible. If they have the least bit of green, they are still poisonous. Another one, the S nigrum, has berries that are black when ripe, but they are NOT shiny. Those I am not so familiar with.

Bookmark   January 21, 2011 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
anybody know what this is?
i bought some vegetable seeds from ebay and the plant...
ngamonk
Angelica keiskei
Any one heard of this taiwanese vegetable? translated...
ladyjenny
Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group
Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group. As...
chadmd
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
Okinawan sweet potato in San Diego
I am growing the Okinawan sweet potato for the first...
ZoeMom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™