Have question about germination?

nfridayJune 21, 2013

Hi- I live in the Chicago area, and it is supposed to get hot and stay hot for the next week, as in the 90's. I wanted to start some komatsuna , yukina savoy and tatsoi in my garden in the next few days. Will they germinate when it is this hot out? Will the red komatsuna survive without bolting when it gets in the 90's. I know that beans and green onions will germinate in hot weather like this, and lettuce and spinach won't, but I am wondering if the Asian greens will germinate if it is hot like this, or would I do better starting them inside and transplanting in a few weeks.? That is what I am planning on doing with the summer lettuce. Does the The first year I had my garden many years ago, we had 47 days where it was 90 or above, and it seemed like the beans and green onions are the only things I had good luck with germinating. I know corn will germinate when it is this hot too, but I planted corn one year and the raccoons eat 3/4 of it..

I am also going to plant some Japanese turnips too, but I will not plant it for another month, and hopefully it will not be as hot then. Thanks, Nancy

This post was edited by nfriday on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 13:20

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

You can cover them with straw, newspaper or provide shade. When the day's high gets into 90s,, first of all it is not going to be that way all day long. Secondly, the soil temperature is not going to get 90F, Unless its under direct sun for hours. So by covering,/mulching or providing shade the soil temperature should be fine for the seeds to germinate and most seeds will take longer than a week to germinate anyway. So you can sow your seeds but you have to also keep the soil moist all the time(Moist not too wet). That is where things like straw, shredded newspaper, tree leaves .. can help to maintain the moisture longer and prevent the soil from getting too hot.

Depending on the type of what you want to plant, you might be able to start and germinate them somewhere in the shade. You don't need light for germination. The after germination , you can transplant them into the garden.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 4:36AM
More Discussions
Day-neutral Hyacinth bean (Lablab purpureus)
This year, I grew a white-flowered hyacinth bean received...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Which Variety of Chinese Chives?
I'd like to plant some Chinese chives, but after looking...
alexisls
Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group
Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group. As...
chadmd
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
Growing Wasabi Indoors
I have some wasabi plants coming in in the next week...
Edymnion
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™