Yardlong, Asparagus, Dow Gauk, etc. etc. Recommendation

grandad_2003(9A/sunset 28)June 25, 2008

I have been growing the dark green, black seeded asparagus beans (dow gauk/dau gok/etc.) and have been quite pleased with their productivity and taste. However, I'm thinking of possibly "experimenting" with other varieties next year, or maybe trying to get a few going this year. I note that the variety Akansanjaku is a sweet light green color with a red seed. Apparently it's a bit tenderer than the variety I now plant. Does anyone have any experience with this or other varieties? Is there a noticible taste difference from one variety to the next?

(The variety I now plant LOVES our Louisiana heat! I can almost see the beans grow. I have to pick twice a day for getting optimal size.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
piksi_hk(9)

Hi gradad,

I have some red noodle and some Martha Stewart (lighter green and and thick round) and the dark green (red seed).
Also I have some white bean seeds.

The dow gauk grows well here too and are the ones I grew up with. They are just started to fruit. I got 2 strands of the red noodle. The Martha S. ones taste a little different and my family didn't care for them.

I see you are just on the other side of the Texas border and quite a place to grow all those veggies.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 12:43AM
More Discussions
Bac Ha
Today, I went to the Wal-Mart store and saw them displayed...
seeds6
south Indian red spinach seeds for exchange
I have this plant of which I don't know the name. It...
susany
forestelves
Tsau Ping Lak, Atalantia buxifolia
If you Google the Atalantia buxifolia (formerly Severinia...
zorba_the_greek
Anyone in San Diego have any luck with Red Perilla/shiso?
My mother is from Japan and makes the most amazing...
HeyJude2012
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™