Amaranth

wolala(z7 NJ)June 14, 2007

I want to transplant some amaranth young plants which I started from seeds. I have two spots in my garden I intend to use. One spot is very sunny. It gets full sun from morning till 4 or 5 in the afternoon. The other spot get about 2 or 3 hours of afternoon sun only. Does anybody grow amaranth before? Which spot is a better suit? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kubotabx2200(Zone 5b NH)

Sunny is better for amaranth

Yes I have grown it we are growing some this year too we are growing red amaranth that is very red almost purple.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 9:54PM
wolala(z7 NJ)

Thanks kubotabx 2200. I'm growing the same type. Finger cross for a good harvest.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 12:02PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

Are you harvesting for the grain?

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 1:44PM
olympia_gardener(5)

I think sunny spot is better. I have never had success transplant amaranthus. I sow seeds directly in the garden. This year I grow two types amarnathus, one for the leaf, red leaf and one for the grain, the golden giant. I always grow it for the leave in the past, but I want to try the grain. I read somewhere that its grain is full of nutrition.

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 4:33PM
ruthieg__tx(z8 TX)

How do you all use the amaranth....I keep seeing seed for sale but don't know how it is used...

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 9:17PM
kubotabx2200(Zone 5b NH)

My wife cooks the leaves like spinach in soups or adds it to a salad for some color. Like you would use spinach or salad greens except its red. Never used it as grain though, we dig it up by the time it bolts. It adds color to the garden too, like red perilla.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 6:30AM
wolala(z7 NJ)

I will harvest the whole plant. I usually stir fry them with garlice and oil and put in extra water for soup. When it is almost done, I break up two salted egg york and add them to the soup.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 1:44PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

I grew a red variety on the east side of the house. It got over 4 feet tall with only morning sun. Pretty hardy plant.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 2:25PM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

Can the red amaranth be used like veggie just like the green ones? Any differences in tastes? They do look nicer in the yard. =)

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 1:13AM
nan123

I grow red and green (yellowish green, also called white amaranth). They make a beautiful flowerbed:

I saw seeds diretly in the ground and I have no prolem to transplant the seedlings into a different spots and arrange them in the pattern that I want.

I want to keep them as long as possible. I nip off the top (otherwise, they will bolt and grow too tall). New ones will grow from the side.

I stir fry them with garlic. The red one tastes betther than the green one.

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 10:16AM
jcarver(21093)

I bought Amaranth Molten Fire seeds (from Livingstone Seed Co.) and the photo on the pack looks exactly like what I want. I started them in pots, and got a ton of seedlings which I thinned. A few green seedlings got tall the fastest, and I planted them -- they're doing well. Now I see that the reddish/purple seedlings are getting big enough to plant, but I'm out of space to put them. Did I make a mistake planting the green ones? Will they ever produce the brilliant red color I want? Maybe just the purple seedlings will result in that? If so, I'll pull out the green ones and put in the purple ones. I hope someone can confirm if the heartier green sprouts I planted will turn red by the end-of-summer. Thanks, Jan

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Angelica keiskei
Any one heard of this taiwanese vegetable? translated...
ladyjenny
7 year old Tatsoi mustard seed sprouted
I bought this seed seven years ago on a clearance sale...
californian
Absolutely new to Gardening: Edamame + Barley
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes...
niveus
Growing Wasabi Indoors
I have some wasabi plants coming in in the next week...
Edymnion
wanted Murraya koenigii (curry plant) sappling
Hi friends, We recently move to Los Angeles area(Torrance,...
vid_nand
Sponsored Products
Howard Miller Eisenhower Presidential Grandfather Clock - 611066
Hayneedle
22 in. Meadow Sunrise Wreath - WFMEAD0WWW
$114.46 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™