Don't buy bitter melon seeds

janoyanJune 4, 2010

At my first attempt to germinate bitter melon from seeds I bought a packet of it from a local grocer and another from a "reputalbe" dealer fron Canada. So far only out about $10. However my success was zero.

Then a simple thought came to me. Out of my weekly supply of fresh bitter melon I decide to make use of the seeds that I normally get rid of. I removed some very carefully so as not to nick or damage them. I cleaned and washed the seeds and without any further step I put them in the proper potting mix prepared in a shallow wooden box. Two weeks later I am now counting eight little beauties , from half to two inches tall . The secret is to keep them warm and give them warm water from a spray bottle as needed, depending where you live.

Let me have some good responses from your attempts.

Good luck

Janoyan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardendawgie(5)

Nice I am going to try this.

Bookmark   June 8, 2010 at 11:45PM
staticx(6b)

be careful guys,if the ones you buy at the store are hybrids then the fruit u will get from their seeds will be diffrent and maybe not as good tasting.

Bookmark   June 17, 2010 at 4:57PM
tracydr(9b)

That's what I was wondering, if they are hybrids. Also, are the fuzzy melons hybrids?

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 9:34AM
gardendawgie(5)

nothing wrong with planting seeds from hybrids. just keep the next seeds from your best fruits. 6 generations and you will have a new variety you can name anything you want.

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 1:42AM
Seedssun

Hello,

Do you have Bitter Melon seeds?
Do you have any other Asian/Indian veg seeds? We can exchange.

thanks

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 3:52PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

INTERESTING. I always thought that the seeds you get from green BM are not mature. I was WRONG again. lol

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 6:43PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

Interesting indeed, I'm surprised I missed this thread last year. The seeds were most likely something less than fully developed, and would probably have died if allowed to dry... but planted immediately, they were successful. None of the stored energy - what there was of it - was lost in storage.

The question is: what kind of bitter melon did Janovan's plants produce? Commercial BM is usually hybrid, and would produce variable results from saved seed (the F2 generation). I'm in the third year of attempting to stabilize a nice Chinese cultivar that was originally a hybrid.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 2:22AM
chaman(z7MD)

This is true for all tropical vegetables.You may take green seeds which are hard enough from fresh fruits and sow them when temperature is above 80 deg.F.The seeds you select should not get crushed when you press the seed between index finger and your thumb.I have tried this with peppers, gourds and legumes.Temp below 80 deg. F will rot the seeds.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 9:39PM
tivo532(9B)

I have good experience from Evergreen Seeds. I have several 7 feet vines now. Hoping they will flower/fruit soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Seeds

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 5:04PM
angelina2600(5b)

I got fresh seeds, just taken from the ones i cooked today. this is from china phenotype, the pale color.

I will sow few in coir pellers, and I might have about 20 seeds to to share.

I am including this in my blog.

Anyone want some?

Here is a link that might be useful: Angelina's Zone 5B Blog

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 7:19PM
mkp3015

Thanks for sharing the tip, Janoyan. I'm tried this 3 days back. Hoping to see some results. Crossing the fingers:)

Like you said, I was in same boat...used up bunch of Bitter melon seed pockets from Asian stores (which is not cheap!)with no luck. (Attempts scattered over last 2 years)

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 12:46PM
archoo16(5b, MO)

I tried this twice, since last month. All my seeds rotted :'( Pretty warm here. temps from 75-80 F. Didn't work for me. Will have to try again next year. Kind of late for this year.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 2:38PM
ralleia(z5 Omaha, NE)

It's utter nonsense that one should not buy bitter melon seeds. I buy my bitter melon seeds (and all other oriental vegetable seeds) through Evergreen and have not had an issue. Federal germination standards for this type of seed are 75%.

Germinating seeds with a hard coat like this can be tricky. I get best results by laying my seeds out on a moistened paper towel on a plate, then folding that paper towel over the top of the seeds. Then I cover the whole thing in plastic wrap. The paper towel must be kept moist, but not soaking.

After two days or so I start checking the seeds at least once a day. Those that have started putting out a root are planted into a seedling cell with moist potting mix. I keep these indoors at regular room temperature until they emerge, and then move them outdoors into the sun.

I didn't write down how many seeds that I started, but I didn't throw out but a few for not germinating. Ended up with 30 to 40 seedlings, which are now mostly transplanted around my south patio in the hopes of some living shade.

If transplanted directly into seedling pots, I get terrible germination. I ascribe this to not being able to carefully enough control the temperature and moisture.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 2:20PM
fairdinkumseeds(10b or 11? Bundaberg QLD AUS)

Have to agree ralleia, it's not the seeds, it's the supplier.
I sell the seeds, and I later use those same seeds to grow my own plants. The key is freshness especially with Momordica species.
I rotate our bitter melon seeds every 4-6months, and I plant the next crop from the "old" stock, have been doing it for a couple years now, no dramas at all.
I just use dirt and plant them out into trellised rows, and if they didn't grow well from seeds, I wouldn't be able to sell them....
My fresh bitter melon seeds, and if you guys have anything cool that isn't in the website I do love barter.
:)
Hit me up, make an offer, would much rather a cool new variety that I don't have than $.
fairdinkumseeds@rocketmail.com

Bookmark   February 28, 2015 at 7:40PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

There was nothing in ralleia's comments that was critical of the supplier; to the contrary, they pointed out the influence of planting techniques (for good or ill) on success rates. I have had no issues here in the U.S. with either commercially produced seed, or seed received in trade.

It should be pointed out that bitter melon is easy to save seed from, by simply letting a fruit or two ripen on each vine. If the plants are healthy, the effect on yield will be minimal, if any. You need to check the ripening fruit often, though, because the fruit will split open when ripe, spilling the seeds on the ground. To get clean seed, I place the seed (red gel sac and all) on newsprint, then try them where there is good air circulation. When the red flesh has completely dried, you can pry the seeds out with a tooth pick, and the seed will come out clean. The seeds will still need additional drying before storage. My bitter melon seed generally has at least fair germination for 5-6 years.

Bookmark   March 1, 2015 at 8:18PM
fairdinkumseeds(10b or 11? Bundaberg QLD AUS)

Yep, I agree, raellia wasn't critical of her supplier or the OP's, but I had assumed the comment made by them, was a response to the OP's statement>>>

"Don't buy bitter melon seeds. At my first attempt to germinate bitter melon from seeds I bought a packet of it from a local grocer and another from a "reputalbe" dealer fron Canada. So far only out about $10. However my success was zero."

Which does quite clearly suggest an issue with the suppliers of commercial seeds, and as is the subject of the thread, a reasonable assumption to make.....
I am in agreement with raellia's statement>>>>

"It's utter nonsense that one should not buy bitter melon seeds. I buy my bitter melon seeds (and all other oriental vegetable seeds) through Evergreen and have not had an issue."

I then also added my comment that if anyone is having dramas I am happy to send out some super fresh seeds to have a crack at, and I personally just grow them all in normal dirt then move them out to the rows. I also added I love barter as I honestly do so don't be shy if you have something cool.

The whole Mormordica family(bitter melon, gac, balsam pear, spiny gourd) germinate very very easily from fresh seeds, but once they get more than about 6months old the strike% drops rapidly and the time before germination increases. Fresh you should get ~90% in a couple weeks, older than a year and it can drop to ~60%(depending on moisture content) and takes a few months for them to pop sometimes.

If you are saving your own seeds and have a big bag that's not a drama, only need to save a couple as each fruit can produce 10-40seeds, but if you are buying a small packet of 5-20 seeds, freshness is important, equally if not more important to planting medium....

Bookmark   March 1, 2015 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
looking for bitter melon and lemongrass seed
I am diabetic and heard that bitter melon and lemon...
frdannylturner
Anyone in San Diego have any luck with Red Perilla/shiso?
My mother is from Japan and makes the most amazing...
HeyJude2012
forestelves
Day-neutral Hyacinth bean (Lablab purpureus)
This year, I grew a white-flowered hyacinth bean received...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
south Indian red spinach seeds for exchange
I have this plant of which I don't know the name. It...
susany
Sponsored Products
Squirrel Proof Sunflower Seed Birdfeeder
$89.00 | FRONTGATE
Lladro 'Mirror Mirror' Porcelain Figure
Overstock.com
Barrister Pocket Lantern
$226.00 | Bludot
Owings Mill Outdoor Postmount by Troy Lighting
$498.00 | Lumens
Progress Lighting P5502-108 Three-Light Hanging Lantern With Water Seeded Glass
Progress Lighting