What is Gaw Gee??

Melan(NSW Aust)June 15, 2005

A Chinese grower called a herb Gaw Gee. It is a straight stalked plant with round leaves attached directly to the stem. It doesn't seem to have have flowers or seed. Just trim back and it regrows. I can't find any other references to this name. Does anyone know what it might be? Does it have another name. I'd like to learn how it is cooked, and what its scientifice name might be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TonyfromOz(z10 NSW Aust)

Botanical name is Lycium barbarum. It's a shrub, but when grown as a vegetable is continually cut at ground level to provide tender young shoots. In China both fruit and leaves are believed to have a wide range of medicinal properties.

I have tried growing it from a bunch I bought at Harris Farm Market, Broadway (where it's generally available among the Chinese greens). Cuttings rooted readily enough but the plants languished with me, probably not enough attention.

Searching on a Chinese name may be unsuccessful because there are so many ways of transliterating them. Try searching on Lycium barbarum and you'll get lots of hits, including the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycium barbarum

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 12:16AM
Melan(NSW Aust)

The photos from the link don't match the plant I've seen. I have a photo I could send.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 1:47AM
baci(z10Ca)

Chinese wolfberry does not have rounded leaves. You might check your spelling &/or post a picture.

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 10:38AM
More Discussions
Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group
Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group. As...
chadmd
Tsau Ping Lak, Atalantia buxifolia
If you Google the Atalantia buxifolia (formerly Severinia...
zorba_the_greek
have anybody purchased plants from this website
Hi Friends, I am trying to buy few plants from this...
vid_nand
lemon grass rooting from less base than I thought possible
I'd scrutinized the lemon grass at the local stores...
merrybookwyrm
Don't buy bitter melon seeds
At my first attempt to germinate bitter melon from...
janoyan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™