Front yard landscaping ideas

Gunner80January 16, 2014

Im looking to landscape our front yard and am looking for ideas and/or types of plants/flowers/trees to plant. We are new to Arizona and gardening in general so any help is greatly appreciated!!

We would like to replace the plants along the front of the house and along the brick wall. Right now, there is a hodgepodge of plants. It doesn't look bad�..just messy. Ideally, we would like something that is green (preferably colorful) year round if at all possible. I was maybe thinking of a hedge with 1 or 2 different types of plants dispersed in between???? It is southeast facing and really only get direct sunlight from sunrise until 11am or so.

We also would like to cover the area around the large pine tree with some type of cover brush. I was also thinking of extending the hedge along the red dotted line. I would also like to replace some of the plants around the plum colored tree�.sorry I don't even know the name of that ;)

Again, any input or ideas is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Gunner80

more pics

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 12:20AM
Gunner80

more pics

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 12:21AM
Gunner80

more pics

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 12:22AM
Gunner80

more pictures

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 12:23AM
ernie85017

Grow food.

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 7:28PM
campv

Sorry but I would get rid of SOME of the grass. To much water. I also have some grass but you have a lot. Having said that, If you put in other plants try and use ones that are low water users. Its only going to get more expensive to water. You will be glad in the long run. It will be very difficult to get things to grow under that pine tree. They are a top rooting tree, that's probably why there is nothing there now. Maybe put some gravel in there with just a couple of plants.
That's a flowering plum- no fruit.

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 5:33PM
PhyllisL(7)

We have a hedge against a brick wall. See the attached photo. The photo is a little raggedy because we haven't trimmed the hedge lately, but you can see the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Front Yard Landscaping Ideas Online

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 1:05PM
azmom

Seeing these photos, the first thought came to mind is "water bill". Seriously.

15 years ago we decided not to put in an offer for a house with gorgeous East Coast style yard and $450 /month water bill.

You can have lush colorful garden in Arizona with low water demand plants.

Don't do anything yet before you check out sites with Xeriscape Gardens. You can also pick up brochures of Desert Plants, Landscape tips in many plant nurseries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lush AZ Xeriscape Gardens

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 5:17PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

Flood irrigated or was I suspect. Could be again. Arcadia area (he just indicates somewhere in AZ)? Looks like two Castlemain homes joined together at some point---nice to have money.

8 mo. old thread.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
AZ Garden Search
Anyone know how I can just search the AZ forum?
luna09
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
Lady Banks Roses
I have a south-facing block-wall that will be getting...
plastike
Anyone growing Wavy Scaly Cloakfern?
Looking for any local info for growing, buying, Wavy...
waterbug_guy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™