Flowering of luffa

hmg123July 29, 2012

Hello I have luffa plants growing vigorusly in both my greenhouse and outside (zone 5b). I know growing outside at this zone is a big risk- hence the greenhouse too! The seedlings were transplanted early June and are huge plants with wonderful leaf growth but no indication of flowers. What am I doing wrong? I have grown luffas for about 5 seasons and only once was able to get a few tiny gourds. Last year I got flowers very late, they did set fruit, but then the frost ruined the fruit. Should I be using certain fertilizer, covering them with black cloth- short day requirement???? Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buenaventura43

I started luffa under flourescent light on last week of february inthe boiler room.Planted out last week of May .By june It got a lot of flowers.Started harvesting fruit end of august.I dont know what kind of luffa but it has ridge on it.I dont fertilize but they are planted on 50% compost and 50% native soil.By the way the fruits are 28 to 34" long.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 7:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stevelau1911

Jamesandfely, I had a similar experience, but I started my seeds straight in the ground. The fruits to get to around 28-34 inches long, but I prefer to harvest them before they exceed 24 inches so they don't turn bitter. It seems like planting them early enough is important, but it is also important to give them plenty of space, sunshine and heat.

I just made a blog with the entire documentation of the plants from seedling to harvest this year with plenty of pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog on my luffas

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 12:26AM
More Discussions
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/ Leeks,...
jctsai8b
Anyone in San Diego have any luck with Red Perilla/shiso?
My mother is from Japan and makes the most amazing...
HeyJude2012
Kikuza squash
HI gardeners: Many months ago I posted looking for...
garlicgrower
Looking for fast growing, mild greens
Can anyone suggest very fast-growing part-shade tolerant...
saxonmjs
Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group
Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group. As...
chadmd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™