Anyone growing a Cherimoya or Atemoya tree?

Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZJanuary 10, 2014

I would like to hear your experience with this tree. I want to grow one on the east side of my house close to the house. I know they're a bit cold hardy but the summer might be too much for the Cherimoya here. Will giving it afternoon shade save it from drying up in the summer heat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

bump

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 9:39PM
Brisly76

I got a fruit from aj's fine foods last year and planted seeds in various locations around my yard. The seeds planted in the shade all sprouted and grew about 6 in before the hottest months of summer came and killed them all. The lone survivor is in a pot in my living room and doing quite well next year I will plant it outside in the shade but I'm not getting my hopes up

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 10:49PM
aztropical(AZ)

I have a cherimoya I've had in the ground for some 8+ years now. It's gotten frozen back to the ground I'd say 4 times now. And during the summers, I usually cover it with frost cloth with a lean-to type setup. I included a link to a few pictures of it below. This is after it froze literally to the ground to winters ago.

It is on the east side of my house, I just planted a seed from a fruit I got years ago, and it grew.

Here is a link that might be useful: This is a link to a pic of one of the leaves from the cherimoya

Bookmark   November 10, 2014 at 1:58PM
publickman

Mine has several fruit on it right now, and I am wondering how long it will take them to mature.

I just noticed that this is an Arizona gardening forum - sorry, but I don't get the opportunity to discuss cherimoyas very often.

It does not get hot where I live (near the beach) compared to AZ, but last summer was the hottest one we've had with temps reaching the low 90s, and it did not damage the tree. It's beginning to lose some of its leaves now, but it does that every year. I have mine in full sun. They do need to be somewhat protected against strong winds, but we don't have those either. We also do not have frost in the winter, although I understand that these trees can handle a minor frost, especially since they are somewhat dormant in winter. They do very well around Santa Barbara, and it is colder there than where I live - especially in the winter.

Lars

Bookmark   November 10, 2014 at 2:14PM
NathanC_4

They don't don't fruit well in this environment, because the pollen dies too fast to be viable. Although it hasn't been tested, you could try hand pollination or fruit fly pollination.

Bookmark   November 17, 2014 at 11:39PM
Brisly76

Update. It's been another year of indoor growth for mine and it has grown a lot. I've decided to plant it under my fig tree to give it summer shade and winter sun I'll let you all know how it goes

Bookmark   January 2, 2015 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™