Propagation by chopping bulb in two

hippiezep(11)February 4, 2014

You may be interested in this small experiment. Last spring I cut a bulb of a nice bloom I had of a cross between Royal Velvet and Benfica which had a clear very dark red flower. The bulb was cut vertically from top to bottom into two halves. The middle growing section was cut out and the halves planted. The picture shows one of them nine months later with 9 healthy offsets which grew up from the old bulb. I might try this again with some of the attractive hybrids, but I have to say that a couple of the others I have tried have not grown and simply rotted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

What was the purpose of cutting the middle out? That's interesting that they are growing on top of the soil.
K

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 9:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hippiezep(11)

I chopped the central growing area out, while leaving the base intact and the outer fleshy leaf bases, something like this if you can see what's happening:

The other half of the bulb planted without cutting out the middle, and it continued to grow and eventually grew back to a normal bulb - it even flowered. I pulled up the offsets to show them - they were actually growing under the soil

Bookmark   February 7, 2014 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
Full House, Tres Chic and another
From top to bottom, Komoriya mislable, Tres Chic and...
jstropic
I;m not Kahlua, who am I?
Title should be "I'm"...not "I;m"!...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
The brighter side of a cold and snowy day...
3 Flower Papilio Bulb #2 opens it's flowers
mariava7
I'm beginning to figure out the code to ordering the bulbs I want
Ok, I'm starting to figure out the code to ordering...
jstropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™