Daikon radish

greengrass12(5)July 20, 2010

Anybody grow daikon? The package says plant late summer for fall harvest. I was planning to plant 1st seek in aug. Do you think that I should get crop going now.? Does it take 60 days to maturity like pkg says or longer? Any growing tips would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardendawgie(5)

Different variety of daikon are very different in growing time. You did not say what variety you have so no can answer.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 7:37PM
greengrass12(5)

Daikon Miyashige.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 9:38AM
farmerdilla

Yes, Miyashige has about the same time interval as a standard turnip. Especially with fall planting consider 60 days as a minimum. I grow Summer Cross planted the last week in August, but you have a considerably shorter season. I would plant as soon as it is cool enough for them to germinate.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 12:43PM
greengrass12(5)

Thanks. Picked my cabbage end of Oct last yr. So if I consider 60 days as a minimum then hopefully I will have couple weeks in Oct for extra growth. I plan to add some radish with cabbage for sauerkraut as well as to try in some cooking.

Bookmark   July 21, 2010 at 2:50PM
chesnok(z6 AR)

I have grown daikon, in bags b/c we have heavy clay soil. One tip is to take care not too give the plants too much nitrogen, which can lead to hairy and/or forked roots.

Bookmark   July 26, 2010 at 8:44PM
gardendawgie(5)

How do you grow a daikon in a bag. Can you explain that a bit. what kind of bag and is it laying down or standing up. how many in a bag. do you buy bags of soil etc etc.

the daikon is kind of long so the bag must be pretty deep.

Bookmark   July 27, 2010 at 1:09AM
hoodat

I'd love to grow daikon but although my soil is quite deep I have a lot of rocks in it. This area was once a rocky beach a million or so years ago and the rocks are still here. They cause branching, deformed roots. I've heard of a ball type but i haven't seen the seeds for sale.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 9:03PM
radishking1

Daikon is absolutely fantastic.... my favorite, by far. I'm sharing a link to "Radish Garden" below, if you're interested in seeing the recipes, how-to's, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Radish Garden - Healthy Snacks, Recipes, Growing & Preservation

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 11:11PM
More Discussions
Tandaljo
Pic. of Tandaljo This year I have added one more vegetable...
chaman
Okinawan sweet potato in San Diego
I am growing the Okinawan sweet potato for the first...
ZoeMom
Wasabi 'like' veggie
I was watching TV while having my car fixed and there...
kkfromnj
Anyone in San Diego have any luck with Red Perilla/shiso?
My mother is from Japan and makes the most amazing...
HeyJude2012
Growing Taro Root
Nice article and video on how to grow Taro in your...
djkj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™