harvesting taro root...

Anakaleki(z9FriendswoodTX)July 22, 2004

Does anyone know if you have to let taro "cure" in the ground like you do with potatoes and sweet potatoes? Or can you just dig them up and cut off the green part? If you do have to let them cure, does that mean I have to wait until winter after the tops have been killed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bellie(7-B ..Va. Beach)

You have to harvest them in the fall lke potatoes or sweet potatoes.Happy gardening!! bellie

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 4:49PM
Anakaleki(z9FriendswoodTX)

OK, and how would that be? Do you let the foliage die (from frost) and how long do you leave them in the ground?

Bookmark   July 22, 2004 at 7:11PM
taffyj(8b LA)

If your climate is right, I think you can harvest any time, as long as the tuber is large enough. Growing taro for harvesting leaves is different than growing taro for harvesting tubers. Don't take leaves from plants you are growing for tubers. And on plants you grow to eat the leaves, you only want to take about the 2nd or 3rd leaves from the center. The older ones don't taste as good.

If you harvest a tuber, you can still replant the top to grow another plant. Here's how... You leave the stems attached to the tuber, but cut off the leaves. You leave about the top half inch of tuber attached to the stems, kind of like cutting off a carrot top and leaving the carrot 'shoulders' attached. You then allow the cut surface on the tuber to dry and form a skin for a few days. You can then replant the top and stems, and it will sprout new plants.
With the tuber you have left for eating, you peel it, quarter it, and cook til tender in salted water. Wear gloves while handling to avoid the oxalate crystals from irritating your hands.

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 2:41PM
Anakaleki(z9FriendswoodTX)

Oh, I know! I have to peel them under running water to keep my hands from getting ichy. And if you hold them the right way, only letting them touch the thicker skin on the inside of your hand, it's not as bad. Although gloves would be easier : )

They were selling some red taro stems at the market and I saw that they included the top of the corm so I planted them and now I have some unknown variety growing with bright crimson stems (that I'm guessing are edible).

You wouldn't happen to know what variety or kind they are?

Bookmark   April 26, 2005 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Tandaljo
Pic. of Tandaljo This year I have added one more vegetable...
chaman
Angelica keiskei
Any one heard of this taiwanese vegetable? translated...
ladyjenny
Malabar spinach winter care
Hi, I have one healthy green Malabar spinach vine. Any...
aaaaaaaa
wanted Murraya koenigii (curry plant) sappling
Hi friends, We recently move to Los Angeles area(Torrance,...
vid_nand
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™