Papillio Question

Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6(Indiana Zone 5/6)February 24, 2014

I just got my first Papillio last week...I am so excited! I read that it is evergreen and does not need to go dormant.

Is this true?
How do you grow your Papillio?

Thanks,
Matthew
Indiana.Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Matt,

Congratulations on your first papilio! I have several pots of them and they always grow as evergreen. They will at some times drop many of their leaves but will always keep some. When they do go into ''their rest period with leaves'' just be careful not to over water them. I treat mine just as I treat all my other hippies with perhaps not as much sun. Sometimes I will put one or two pots outside for the summer and when I do I put them in dappled sun or part shade. They will do just fine in the house all summer also as the NBF finds them a tasty meal. I feed them as I do my other bulbs and just remember they can be very finicky about when they decide to bloom so don't give up. They love to produce offsets so in no time you should have a whole pot of them and I don't separate mine. When you find the right mate for them they also produce huge healthy seedpods full of healthy seeds.

Most all of us on this forum grow many papilios so we all have our different ways of trying to make them happy. This is just what I do for mine. Good luck,

Donna

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 6:45AM
More Discussions
Hippeastrum calyptratum
Hi all, I will be getting seeds from Mauro for H. calyptratum...
radhavall
I;m not Kahlua, who am I?
Title should be "I'm"...not "I;m"!...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
H. Santos
My 3, H. Santos, bulbs all have 2 scapes and appear...
jimnpa (6a PA USA)
Worsleya aka Blue Amaryllis
I thought I would post my latest pics to a more reasonably...
bluebonsai101
Hippeastrum 'Belicia', any knowledge?
Hi everyone, The thing is my recently purchased White...
lenanen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™