how to germinate purple sweet potato?

preppystudJuly 18, 2011

i tried a few times. they always rot.

i start to wonder maybe the farmers did something to those things before they sold them to the stores.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

I just bought about 10 pounds of the Okinawa sweet potatos as my local Asian market. I found a couple that had eye growth coming out. The guy who told me about these potatos says I can put the tuber in water and let the eye grow out, then break it off after it gets some size on it, and let it grow some nice roots before potting it up. Not sure if this will work, but I'm about to try it.

My ornamental sweet potatos with purple fleshed tubers and chartreuse vines return each year, but I've never tried to eat them. Purple skin, purple flesh. Do great in a container or in the ground.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 10:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
preppystud

oh, yea, that is how you grow them. once they start to grow leaves, you can plant them easily. they will grow.

talking about ornamental sweet potatoes, i had one last year, but i forgot to do some cuttings to grow them indoor, it died. and it hasn't produced anything this year, i can only assume that it is dead already. what a pity. it was growing pretty strong last year.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 10:26PM
More Discussions
looking for bitter melon and lemongrass seed
I am diabetic and heard that bitter melon and lemon...
frdannylturner
Which Variety of Chinese Chives?
I'd like to plant some Chinese chives, but after looking...
ZoeCat17
Kikuza squash
HI gardeners: Many months ago I posted looking for...
garlicgrower
anybody know what this is?
i bought some vegetable seeds from ebay and the plant...
ngamonk
Malabar spinach winter care
Hi, I have one healthy green Malabar spinach vine. Any...
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™