Is it a good time to plant a pygmy date palm?

shuss(9a)January 31, 2006

What are the watering needs of this plant if I were to plant it now? Should be concerned with the low temps at night? Thanks in advance for the answers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sonotaps(Sunset Z13, Phx)

Hi,

Phoenix Roebelenii are pretty tough. I would only worry about cold on a palm that isn't established. In Phoenix, I've never had cold damage on these guys.

Are you really in zone 9a? Must be Tucson then or outlaying area. Anyway, wait until very early March (prob. get away with late Feb in Phoenix) when soil temps are warmer and when the days are consistently upper 70's to 80's. That is when palms start to grow.

Water in some B-1 or superthrive. In the summer, they love tons of water (not sopping wet) and let them dry out somewhat between waterings. In the winter, I would water maybe once every couple weeks as they are not actively growing (just slightly moist not wet). This winter is obviously extremely dry, but last winter when we were very wet I didn't bother watering (didn't need to).

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 4:42PM
sonotaps(Sunset Z13, Phx)

Oops! Forgot something.

Mulch, mulch, mulch! But not directly next to the trunk. You can get away with watering much less than just rock or bare earth! Makes a huge difference with palms to keep moisture there in summer!

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 4:44PM
port_a_bella(z9 AZ)

hi there... i just planted a pigmy date palm a week ago. so far so good. i did put quite a bit of mulch around it. home depot and lowes guarantee their plants for a year, so i figure that even if it were to die, i'd just trade it in for a new one. good luck.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 8:43PM
shuss(9a)

I am actually in Chandler. I thouhgt that was Z9a(?) I think I will wait until early march for the temps to stabilize in the 70s. I went to a local nursery yesterday and got a sticker shock. They wanted $200 for 20 gallon palm. I will check HD and Lowes today. Any other places in the valley?

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 12:35PM
kazooie(kapiti coast, NZ)

shuss
you can also try Treeland (arizona ave just north of elliot) and A&P nursery on baseline just west of lindsay rd. all my experiences with them have been good. although, you will not get the one year guarantee like HD and Lowes has. you should at least check them out.

Bookmark   February 1, 2006 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Removing thorns.
I searched this forum and didn't find anything so thought...
waterbug_guy
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™