Diatomaceous Earth and pest control.

mikey33(5b Ont.)February 4, 2010

Hi all. It seems that I have gnats in and around my hippies again. I remember years back I had diatomaceous to control ants in an enviro-friendly way. Has anyone any experience with this on hippies and gnats? If it works I will hunt it down and give it a try. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anna_in_quebec(z4 QC)

I always have those darned gnats - no matter what I do it seems. But - I have noticed that they really are not doing any harm.

That being said, I have read that keeping the soil very dry on the surface will reduce their reproduction and also yellow sticky cards, placed standing up on the soil surface, attract and hold the adult fungus gnats and give you an idea of the size of the population (I know for sure they are available at Lee Valley).

Another tip is: Placing a slice of potato on the soil surface sometimes attracts the feeding larva. The potato slices can be used to collect and dispose of larva and to gauge when the larva are actively feeding, for timing of pesticide applications. Make sure the potato slices do not dry out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Sticky Traps

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
Seeds from Argentina
Hi Donna, I bought some seeds in Argentina and one...
orchids_grower_1946
The 'wild' blue amaryllis
Been watching with great interest some online auctions...
bragu_DSM 5
Holding my breath ...
My Noid is about to reveal her identity …
bragu_DSM 5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™