Late start on Tomatoes?

kingkongos(Phoenix)January 21, 2011

I started a batch on January 3rd but many of them seem to be getting hit by damping off. I started another batch today as a back up.

What's the latest start any of you have gotten on starting tomato seeds? Was it a successful crop? My microclimates last frost day is said to be March 13.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goodluckkitty

For me, this would be a pretty late start. I am putting 6" plants in the ground next weekend. I expect a good crop if I can keep the sucking insects away this year. Good luck!

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 8:40AM
az_pamperedchef(9)

My transplants are not nearly as big as goodluckkitty's, but I'll put my in their permanent pots in the beginning of February. We'll see what happens.

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 3:28PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

I'll put mine out for grasshopper food errr.... to grow big and strong in my garden, around Valentine's day.

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 4:04PM
thisisme(az9b)

Mine are about 8"+ right now. I plan on planting them Feb 15th which is the last threat of frost.

Looks like I will have extras of Sun Gold, Black Cherry, Cherokee Purple and Toma Verde Tomatillo and Sweet Bell Pepper. Anyone want to trade?

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 4:31PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

thisisme~
Where do you find the info of the last threat of frost?
A website?

I'm in Tucson, and more often that not, we have a big one in late march.

JoJo

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 8:31PM
thisisme(az9b)

Jojo there are lots of places that post these lists. You can either do a search for "First and last threat of frost for Tucson Arizona". Or just click on the link below and scowl down.

Here is a link that might be useful: First and last threat of frost

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 9:44PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Thisisme, I don't have any big plants but I'd love to trade some for a Black Cherry & Sun Gold. I have an extra of the Cerise Orange & Black Krim if you're interested.

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 3:38PM
thisisme(az9b)

Hi az_pamperedchef, I would be interested in a Black Krim. I have read that the Cerise Orange is a lot like Sun Gold which I already have so not interested. I'm in far East Mesa near Apache Junction. Do we live close enough to each other to make a trade?

Bookmark   January 26, 2011 at 4:32PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Thisisme, unfortunately, I'm in the far West Valley. So I don't think it will work for us. I'm sorry.

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 4:16PM
thisisme(az9b)

No problem AZ. I saw you asking about them over at the Phoenix Permaculture Guild Forum too. Nice site over there. I wish that Nagami kumquat that was offered up was closer. I would have taken it in a second.

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 6:16PM
thisisme(az9b)

Az ignore that last post. I had you mixed up with greendesert.lol

Bookmark   January 27, 2011 at 6:19PM
goodluckkitty

Mary-
We had so many grasshoppers last year. I wonder if chickens would help?!?!
Dale

Bookmark   January 31, 2011 at 7:40PM
tracydr(9b)

I'm very late, just got mine in soil, having to leave them outside so probably won't germinate for another week after this freeze. I think I'll go to the Tomato Fest and get a bunch of plants, use mine as back-ups and extras. I don't know what my problem is with motivation this winter, I have to get going or it will be summer before I know it!

Bookmark   February 2, 2011 at 2:18PM
luvkuku

I have bought and planted tomates 3 times already this spring, just because I found a variety I didnt have, but I guess I will have to stop now. Why plant more if they wont even get to produce before its too hot?

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 11:35AM
kingkongos(Phoenix)

Well, I repotted the affected plants deeply into home-made compost and fertilized. Over the last 2 months they took off and I ended up with some of the healthiest transplants yet!! I transplanted my 10 inch bushy plants into the garden last Tuesday. I now have 50 backups around the 6 inch stage which I'm just giving away to friends...we'll see if those produce for them in time.

Varieties:

Aunt Rubys German Green
Riesentraube
Cherokee Purple
Amana Orange
Thessaloniki
Hungarian Heart
Hillbilly
Beefsteak
unidentifiable red heirloom

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 5:15PM
luvkuku

Oh, I want to be your friend; I dont have any of those. I hope to have a greenhouse up by next winter; at the mercy of my husband's urge to build. I almost prefer paying someone, because then you can predict when it will be finished.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 11:34AM
thisisme(az9b)

Really nice selection kingkongos.

Here's my grow list...

Sun Gold
Black Cherry
Husky Red Cherry
Juliet
Cherokee Purple
Brandywine Sudduth
Black Prince

A lot of mine were 3-4ft tall when I planted them yesterday. The first 2ft went into the ground. I guess I started them a little to soon or planted them a little late.

If I had more room I would have planted a couple more on your list. A bunch of those are highly regarded in the Tomato Forum. Hopefully you can find homes for all your extras. It would be a shame if any of them went to waste.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 11:54PM
More Discussions
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™