Thai Green Pea Eggplant

maupin(z6 So. IL)August 29, 2004

Well, way back in April I posted here that my Thai Green Pea Eggplant did not germinate. Turns out three weeks later it did (what an incredibly slow starter).

I planted it and it shot up like a weed. It was 7 feet tall in July, but bore no flowers. August 1, no flowers. Just as I was preparing to post again bemoaning my Thai Green Pea Eggplant problems, flowers everywhere!

These 3 plants are now all over 8 feet tall with hundreds of little green buds!

My next question: How can you tell when they're ripe?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phivang(z10 SoCal)

They go from light green to slightly yellow when ripe. I believe you do not use them when they are ripe, but rather pick them when they're fully grown and develop a very light green color, they should be crisp to the bite and slightly bitter or tart in taste, and the seeds crisp but soft. They are used in Thai curry. The Vietnamese pickle the larger version or eat them raw. If the seeds are dark and somewhat tough, they're too ripe.

Bookmark   August 30, 2004 at 7:31PM
robbins(z5/6 MO)

I grew them last year - 10 feet tall and covered with blooms - unfortunately it seems that they won't produce until the second year. For those growing in less temperate areas that means taking cuttings in the fall, wintering them over and planting out the next spring. Wish I'd known that before we tilled the whole thing under. If you have any extra cuttings I'd love to get some!

Bookmark   August 31, 2004 at 9:51AM
Shantihhh(9b CA)

Don't let them over rippen as they become unbearably bitter. Pick when young-then they are delightful in Thai curries IMHO. Use when just picked!

Mary-Anne

Bookmark   August 31, 2004 at 11:22PM
maupin(z6 So. IL)

Robbins--I don't understand. How can taking cuttings yield in year two? I'm Zone 6.

Bookmark   September 1, 2004 at 3:17PM
robbins(z5/6 MO)

Sorry - forgot to check back here. The deal is you need to take cuttings, root them, winter them over in a green house or inside your house, then plant out next year. When they begin growing next year it is best to keep them wacked back to three or four feet to force them to bush more than just grow tall. They will then begin blooming and set fruit.
I never did this because I didn't get the info until I'd already tilled mine under. So seriously, if you get any cuttngs started I'd love to get a couple from you.
Wish some of this information had been included in the seed catalog blurb, but they had never grown it.
Let me know how it all turns out.
Robbins

Bookmark   September 20, 2004 at 9:47AM
RobertEire(9)

Strange - I saw these for the first time in our local Asian market on Saturday. Was very tempted to buy them but did not, think I will now and give a go at stir frying.

If it is any consolation, all my aubergines grew about 2 inches tall then stopped. I am going to overwinter and see what happens next year.

Bookmark   September 21, 2004 at 8:28AM
Shantihhh(9b CA)

This small pea eggplant must be very fresh or it will be bitter. It is used in Thai curries.

Where did you find them?

Mary-Anne
SF Bay Area

Bookmark   September 26, 2004 at 7:42PM
robbins(z5/6 MO)

Mary-Anne
The seed is sold in the Baker Creek catalog.

Bookmark   September 27, 2004 at 9:34AM
maupin(z6 So. IL)

Update--I have small fruit berries on my plants now--hope to be able topick them in about a week.

Bookmark   September 27, 2004 at 3:25PM
leaveswave(.)

I'm in zone 4, planted small plants from the local farmer's market kinda late this spring and we have fruit to eat. Makin' a nice Thai green curry tonight--yum!

I didn't think there were different varities... I recommend y'all grow the ones that you don't have to winter over, unless you like the effort, of course.

Bookmark   September 28, 2004 at 1:13PM
Eggo(z10soCal LBC)

Robbins,
Yes..I think it was my post a while back that had something to do about the pea eggplant. I recommended to those folks in cooler climate that may not be getting any fruits due to a much earlier winter than someone like me in SoCal, to take a cutting of a mature pea eggplant, root them, overwinter them and plant it out next spring.
There aren't many varieties of pea eggplant out there, all I know of is of a thornless variety besides that everything else is much the same. Hope that cleared up the confusion.

Bookmark   October 18, 2004 at 7:21PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

yes... most helpful... thank you for sharing the info

Bookmark   July 7, 2005 at 6:12PM
honora

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to freeze pea eggplants?

Thank you

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 1:38PM
Violet_Z6(6a)

honora,

I'd imagine it would be similar to the process of freezing other eggplant varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing Eggplant

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 9:07PM
hammerwrath

Both the common green eggplant and the small eggplant (pea aubergine) should be picked when they are light greenish colour.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 9:03AM
jairadhe

I checked in Baker Creek catalog. I couldn't find the seeds. Probably because the thread was started in '04. Now it is '09.

I would like to get the seeds for the same. If anyone of you have it pls let me know.

Bookmark   January 25, 2009 at 11:11PM
JIMMY_SAYAVONG(8A)

Does anybody know where I get seeds for Thai Green Pea Eggplant? I plan to grow next spring. Thanks in advance

JIMMY

Bookmark   November 26, 2013 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Bac Ha
Today, I went to the Wal-Mart store and saw them displayed...
seeds6
Malabar spinach winter care
Hi, I have one healthy green Malabar spinach vine. Any...
aaaaaaaa
Growing Wasabi Indoors
I have some wasabi plants coming in in the next week...
Edymnion
Tandaljo
Pic. of Tandaljo This year I have added one more vegetable...
chaman
south Indian red spinach seeds for exchange
I have this plant of which I don't know the name. It...
susany
Sponsored Products
Dark Granite Chain Hung Pendant with Kiwi Green Crystal Glass
$118.80 | Bellacor
Uttermost Porano 4-Light 29" Wide Bronze Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Missoni Home | Phrae Pouf
YLiving.com
Good Ideas Savannah 30 Gallon Column Waste and Storage Bin - SV-COL-BLK
$67.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Hand-knotted Vegetable Dye Solo Green Hemp Rug (9' x 12')
Overstock.com
Area Rug: Bluffdale Chocolate 8' Round
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™