daffodils and corn?

sarah_bakerJanuary 17, 2009

I am trying to grow a hobby garden. I have two 4'x8'x12" raised beds. I am thinking about growing daffodils in the same bed as the corn. Is this okay?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

You know, I don't think there's any real problem with your idea. The only concerns that come to my mind are that the daffodils will want to be left undisturbed for several years while the corn will want the soil occasionally turned and prepared, so you'll have to remember where the daffodils are so you don't accidentally dig them up since they'll be dormant during corn planting season. Other than that, I don't see any real issue. Just be sure to pick daffodils that need very little chill if you're in the Phoenix area (I grow a lot of 'paperwhite' narcissus outdoors in my gardens). If you're in a cold-winter area you'll have more daffodil options, but you'll still need to make sure you don't dig them up when they're dormant while you're planting/caring for your corn. Yes, that means I've speared plenty of dormant bulbs of all types by accident, LOL.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.
Grant

Bookmark   January 19, 2009 at 3:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
softmentor(z9/sunset13 CA desert)

yep, just remember where they are and don't plant the corn too close or it will crowd the daf's out. Remember to plant corn about 3 different times about 2 weeks apart so it's not all ready at the same time, but rather you get a longer harvest.
Also I never turn a garden, I just top dress with more mulch each season, pull back the mulch to plant seeds.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™