Help with Struggling Queen Palms

evolustJanuary 26, 2008

I just moved into a new house that has 6 queen plams. All of them are looking pretty weak. I already cut down one dead one and dont want to lose any more. I noticed that all my neighbors queens are looking about the same. I bought some fertilizer at Home Depot and applied that, so hopefully that will help. One of the employees told me to put epson salt down with the fertalizer as queens dont get enough salt. Ever heard of that? Help! What else can I do to save these guys. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annoysmom(z9az)

Actually your queen palms look better than mine! We planted some about 4 years ago and they have struggled since. Last summer I started fertilizing them with palm food once a month, working the fertilizer into the soil and watering well. I have noticed that they look somewhat better and are growing. I know queen palms supposedly don't do very well in our hot climate (they are better suited to California) but I am going to give them one more year before I yank them out.

Bookmark   January 27, 2008 at 1:24PM
murmanator

Queens are not really suited for this climate as they are a tropical plant and this is not a tropical climate... too hot and dry. However this link may help:

Here is a link that might be useful: Queen Palm Health

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 12:46PM
evolust

Thanks for the link!

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
Lady Banks Roses
I have a south-facing block-wall that will be getting...
plastike
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™