tomato seedlings leaves turing yellow

butcher_boyFebruary 5, 2009

My seedlings seem to be growing very slow. I did move them into 3" jiffy pots when they where about 2 inches tall.

now it seems they have slowed down their growth and the leaves (seed leaves) are turning yellow.

I check the web some people said it could be from over watering. I held back the watering and still yellow leaves. Some have began to fall off.

I am now thinking it is a deficiency in the soil. ( when I replanted them in jiffy pots I just used the seed starting soil). do you think this could be it?

I have the plants in direct sunlight on the window sill do you think they are getting too hot? the house is around 70-76 during the day and drops to 70 or 68 at night.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

It sounds like you have a nutrient problem. Mix a 1/4th strength fertilizer solution and water the plants once a week with it. The current yellow leave will more than likely not survive but the new ones will be green and lively. In the future you should begin this procedure after the second true leaves BEGIN to appear.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 12:01PM
butcher_boy

Thanks for the tip. I tried posting a response earlier but I guess it didn't go through. The only fertilizer I found was tomato plant food (miracle-gro) I will try the method you said to use. and thanks for the great info.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 2:39AM
laccanvas

I read your post... my seedlings leaves are turning yellow too. I have them in slow release fertilizing potting soil. All of my 100 other seedlings I'm growing are doing great, except for my "delicious" variety tomatoes and "Roma" seedlings. They are growing..but the leaves are really yellow. Is this normal?

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 3:37PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

No. Fertilize as I outline above. Those pre-fertilized potting soils are not uniformly mixed before packaging, that is why I don't buy them. I'd rather be in control rather relying on some other person.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™