Winter Melon aka Wax Gourd -- what to do with them?

denninmi(8a)September 1, 2010

Help. I planted these this year, several kinds in fact, a couple of round ones and an oblong one.

They've done really well, they liked our very hot summer.

Now, I've got several dozen fruits in various stages of maturity. Some are basketball sized or a little bigger.

They LOOK cool.

How in the heck do you eat them? What do you do with them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardendawgie(5)

have you tried a google search of "wax gourd tsp" and "winter melon tsp" etc.

well you are having fun this year growing everything. You must have a big garden.

there is a short discussion in the book

Growing Chinese Vegetables in Your Own Backyard

about a fancy dish where everything is cooked inside the gourd and served in the gourd with the gourd also cooked.

I think it is very mild so it will take on any flavor you spike it with. It will keep in the house a long time after harvest. important to have food in the winter in the old days.

I like soup so would use it that way. but give it some creative thought and you will do fine. it mixes with everything. my local oriental food store sells them so there is a good demand for such a big melon.

If you dont want them, your local store might be happy to buy them from you cheap.

I am sure you will find lots of ideas on the internet. the tsp is a clue to a recipe.

I am wanting to grow them next year. Let me know how it works out. The big ones are kind of big. you better be hungry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Wax Gourd and Meat Ball Soup

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 2:32PM
ikea_gw

Peel the green skin off first then cut them into slices. 1/2 inch thick pieces are good for soup and thinner ones for steaming or stir frying. They have a very mild flavor. For soup, I usually put it in some chicken stock. For steaming, you can layer them with country ham, mushroom, bamboo shoots.

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 5:24PM
bluebirdie(Z8 SF E Bay)

If you're winter melons are baseball size or larger, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. The winter melon sold here can get up to 20-50 pounds. I received a small one in December from a friend whose mom who grow these. The melon kept for a long time.

Like ikea_gw mentioned, they're good in soups (try with ham and ginger for a hot soup on a cold day).

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
wanted Murraya koenigii (curry plant) sappling
Hi friends, We recently move to Los Angeles area(Torrance,...
vid_nand
Bac Ha
Today, I went to the Wal-Mart store and saw them displayed...
seeds6
Malabar spinach winter care
Hi, I have one healthy green Malabar spinach vine. Any...
aaaaaaaa
Growing Taro Root
Nice article and video on how to grow Taro in your...
djkj
south Indian red spinach seeds for exchange
I have this plant of which I don't know the name. It...
susany
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™