What flowers can I plant now for spring/early summer?

tracydr(9b)February 23, 2014

What flowers can I plant in fairly deep shade right now for spring/summer flowers? I need to pretty up my place because it's going on the market. I'd prefer things with a tropical feel if possible since they are going around the pool. In this area, I also need some large bushes or plants. I have a huge plantar to fill in shade around the pool. The soil there is heavy clay with only a little improvement and is irrigated.
I have some established plantings plus some salvias. I may just go with more salvias, if I can find a place that sells 8 packs or flats.
I have a blue rose, some blue and red salvias, a wild-type hibiscus and some bulbs. I'm not even sure what kind of bulbs as I planted them a couple of years ago. I know I have some small white lilies ( Lily of the valley?), some canna and another very large bulb plant which has big,yellow flowers and spreads like crazy. Also, some iris. I have a huge hyacinth bean growing all the way up an old, large Mexican palm. The area is skirted by giant pine trees, African sumacs and a few palms. ( I know, weird combination, planted before I moved here, probably in the 80's sometime.
I also have a planter in the sunny, non-irrigated front yard that needs some small bushes or something. The planter is narrow and alongside the driveway so nothing big like oleanders. I was thinking lavenders, hibiscus or some sort of desert bush like autumn sage. Front yard has a bunch of huge palm trees, some new, small hibiscus, a lavender and large rosemary. Also, an artichoke.
Btw, house is 3,000 square feet, with five bedrooms, three baths, newly remodeled and has 1/2 acre, irrigated. Huge, huge pine trees and a sunny area with four 16x8 organic veggie gardens.
Also has a large diving pool. It's at the end of a cul de sac on a quiet street in an older neighborhood of Mesa.

More Discussions
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Lady Banks Roses
I have a south-facing block-wall that will be getting...
plastike
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™