Asian Vegetables Seed Exchange Group

chadmdSeptember 18, 2011

Dear Asian Vegetable home growing enthsiest group.

As a home growing vegetables enthusiest I find heirloom vegetable seeds get pricy when you want to grow a variety of asian vegetables or even otherwise.All I need is few seeds and not a whole packet or bunch.

I was looking for different varieties of heirloom egg plant seeds - Thai, Japnese, Indian , Italian, and Brazilian.All I need is 5-10 seeds of each.What is available - $3 each packet plus C & H charges.Over $20 for these ............ pricy.

I have requested many times to seed companies to make affoardable and small packages for home garderns use .Understandable - it does not make business sense for them.

SO

I think it is a good idea if we can creat an exchange group and share with each other smaller quantities of heirloom asian or our local vegetable seeds.

Chad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aaaaaaaa(6)

I am with you.

Anna

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 2:40PM
ckap(9a Sugar Land,Texas)

I think it is a great idea.Count me in too.

Chaya

Bookmark   September 19, 2011 at 9:06AM
kellyk49

May I join as well? I've been going to the local Asian stores to buy some eggplants to harvest the seeds but have not had any luck finding exotic eggplants. I may need to go to Seattle's International District. Have any of you tried getting seeds this way? Did it work?
Thanks,

Kelly

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 8:33PM
kellyk49

Also, I have mizuna kyoto, mustard Han Tsai, Bok Choy, cilantro and red spinach seeds to trade. I am letting my Japanese Eggplants go to seed but they are not ready yet. I do not know how much seed I will get from them but I'll share if I have it.

Bookmark   September 21, 2011 at 12:35AM
piksi_hk(9)

Would like to try eggplants too.
I currently have lots angled luffa gourd, bitter melon (small oval) and hon choy (green/red stripe). Will have yard long bean. Also my neighbor from India has some kind of bean seeds.

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 6:51PM
behlgarden(9)

Count me in! I got rhim-jim eggplant heirloom open pollinated seeds (fruit still ripening on plant) and some black beauty and Japanese ichiban seeds as well. Will have bellpepper seeds as well.

Would love to trade few here and there. add me to the list. infofiles@gmail.com

Bookmark   September 28, 2011 at 12:05AM
zzackey(8b GA)

I read you could eat the luffa gourd. How big do you let it get before you harvest it to eat?

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 5:32PM
chuckesweetmb(8)

Has there been exchanges yet? I'm in interested and in san antonio, tx. add me to the list, chuckesweetmb@gmail.com. Thanks!
"Chuckie"

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:20PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

Count me in!

At this point, I have 2 types of interesting asian vegetable seeds:

asian winged bean
malabar spinach

I will have a lot more by next fall.

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 9:28PM
behlgarden(9)

Count me in. I just saved seeds from indian rhim jhim eggplant and chinese eggplant. I have these ready for trade. I also participated in 2001 Annual tomato and pepper seed exchange and Heather is doing a wonderful job on that forum where everyone mails the seeds to her and paypal her return postage. she collects all seeds and then does the exchange as a volunteer. Has anyone thought of doing this here for So Cal folks?

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 7:19PM
behlgarden(9)

Chad and others. this is what I was reffering to. folks jump in but no one takes the lead. it does take someone to volunteer this. in addition, not all folks have what they want and what they have to offer may not be appealing to others. this is why I feel one-on-one exchange doesnt work that well unless there are more than few varities available to exchange.

I suggest other people to bring on ideas. I suggest that whoever is interested sign-up at http://groups.google.com/group/veggieseedexchange and we go from there. Gardenweb is great site and will continue to post our things here, for specific exchange, communication on googlegroup would be very helpful. Thoughts?

Bookmark   October 28, 2011 at 12:09PM
gardencraze(9b Groveland FL.)

Behlgarden, If people want to do an exchange with just one seed what do you care?? if you don't want to join then don't, but don't discourage other people from doing it. One on one is wonderful.
My two cents......
And don't have any asian seeds but I can sure look for some to trade all depends on who wants what. Just

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 12:09PM
gardencraze(9b Groveland FL.)

My apology for this post I spoke out Stupidity and anger at I don't know what.
behlgarden Please for give me, that was uncalled for.
carmen

Bookmark   November 6, 2011 at 2:00PM
behlgarden(9)

No worries carmen. I was just trying to help and make it easy for all. that's all. I am still waiting for some leadership skilled person/s to step forward or some volunteers to step forward. You can view my exchange list and these are good seeds.

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 5:05PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

I signed up for the googlegroup but it just looked like SPAM to me. What's up with that?!

Bookmark   November 7, 2011 at 9:02PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Great idea and this forum is already set up for it. Just click on "exchanges" near the top or the messages directory.

Jim

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 5:11PM
peaches0104(6b)

have pac choi, all red amaranthus,chinese fuzzy melon nice and hugh lot like a cuke,chinese frog pumkin, eatable chinese bottle gourd, japanese white and white and green eggplant, french sorrel, also try artisticgarden.com. seeds start at .35 cents and pinetree is about 1.25 a pack with around the world seeds

1 Like    Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 1:24PM
oliveoyl3

On the Round Robin Exchange forum there are several edible seed swaps available now. I am expanding my asian vegetables this year, so very interested in having others join in.

Corrine

1 Like    Bookmark   January 9, 2012 at 11:59AM
wynnho

In the fall after I plant and harvest to make sure I have fresh seeds, I may have snake gourd and the birdhouse gourd. I have trifloiate orange seeds now- not Asian, but a native here that makes what looks, smells, and tastes like lemons. I may also have amaranth (burgundy, i think). I can't offer much NOW because when I ordered seeds form Pinetree, I got too buswy with school to plant them right. I want to offer only fresh seed to trade. Please check what I will have in keep me in mind.

Bookmark   February 10, 2015 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
Bac Ha
Today, I went to the Wal-Mart store and saw them displayed...
seeds6
7 year old Tatsoi mustard seed sprouted
I bought this seed seven years ago on a clearance sale...
californian
lemon grass rooting from less base than I thought possible
I'd scrutinized the lemon grass at the local stores...
merrybookwyrm
few more tindora cuttings and roots available
free, only you have to pay the shiiping costs for a...
eswar
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
Sponsored Products
Illumine Outdoor Lanterns. 3-Light Outdoor Royal Bronze Lantern with Clear Seede
Home Depot
Daisy & Zinnia Crayon Pot Set
$7.99 | zulily
Justice Design Group GLA-8864 - Pendants 3 Light Small Cluster Pendant - Square
$550.00 | Hayneedle
Dakota Matte Black Three-Light Curved-Bar Bath Fixture
$290.00 | Bellacor
Outdoor Lighting. Suffolk Collection Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Textured White F
$50.00 | Home Depot
Sauganash 2Lt Outdoor Ceiling Antique Bronze
PLFixtures
Luxo Antique Brass Five-Light Pendant
$598.00 | Bellacor
Justice Design Group POR-8922 - Modular 2 Light Bath Bar - Hourglass Shade - Bru
$290.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™