Looking for Planting Ideas

splaisFebruary 28, 2008

I have a bed 4' x 18' along the North wall of the house. the wall is pretty high and during Winter the bed is pretty much in shade all day except for morning sun on the East end. In Summer the sun is high enough that the bed gets sun. right now it has a 6-7 foot high 15 year old Juniper hedge growing in it. I want to rip it out and plant something new. The bed is at ground level but has a 4 brick high retaining wall around it right now, so I have to options: fill and raise the bed or plant at ground level. this bed has a 3 foot wide walk in front of it and a large area of synthetic lawn in front of that.

I am looking for some plant ideas that will have some bulk, some character, look neat, possible some flowering; and can handle the conditions as described above. Any ideas folks?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenlust(z9 Phx,AZ)

I have seen tall cape honey suckle (orange flowers) bushes against north wall, they look nice, do well in the kind of sun conditions you mentioned. Since your bed is 4 foot wide you can plant smaller flower bushes in front side. You might be better off filling the bed to 2-3 brick height or you can get flower bushes that grow tall and plant them at ground level inside bed.

Bookmark   March 1, 2008 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
magicgarden_az(Z9)

I have a similar situation. I put Photina and Cassia on my north facing wall. They will grow over 6 ft but can be trimmed back and are not fussy. Its a good place to have fun with annuals and bulbs, too. Another idea is to tier the bed so you have two levels and can then have some groundcover flowing over.

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™