Harvesting Gingko Nuts

thornyissue(9)October 25, 2006

Hi there, I just recently picked some gingko nuts from my tree in my new house. The fruit that dropped is orange colored, soft and acidic. Even after I washed my hands I could feel the burn.

Should I take the skin off or dry the fruit? I know I'm suppose to freeze it. Let me know...

Thanks!

Sid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Violet_Z6(6a)

Gather the ripe fruits using rubber gloves. Squeeze out the seeds in a bucket of water, wash them thoroughly, and then dry them for several weeks in a well-ventilated location. The result will look like a large unsplit pistachio nut. They are not ready to eat at this point. To prepare them for eating, first crack them with a pair of pliers. You may roast like almonds, chestnuts, or sunflower seeds or boil them for about ten minutes. The inner skin (called a pellicle) will fall off leaving a light yellow/white kernel. It's this kernel which you eat. It tastes something like sweet corn.

You may keep these nuts in your refrigerator in plastic bags for a short time, but they are highly perishable. Or vacuum seal them and freeze them.

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 11:18AM
taxonomist(7b VA)

All of that advice relating to Ginkgo or Gingko nut sounds to me pretty stupid. My Chinese friend and I collect the ripe and VERY smelly fruit and dump them in a mild solution of washing soda(Sodium carbonate). We hand strip the soft outer covering then dry. When sauteed in hot oil for a few minutes, they develop a most unusual and pleasant taste. Do NOT wory about the irritant properties; it is a mixture of weak organic acids (hexanoic,butanoic, and others) and is essentially harmless.

Bookmark   February 10, 2007 at 6:49PM
ijrickman_cox_net

I raked a large number of gingko fruit into a pile last fall. they were outside all winter. The fruit is gone but the seeds look good. is it ok to use them?

Bookmark   April 26, 2011 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Growing Wasabi Indoors
I have some wasabi plants coming in in the next week...
Edymnion
Absolutely new to Gardening: Edamame + Barley
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes...
niveus
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/ Leeks,...
JCTsai
Kaffir Lime Propagation
I am a huge lover of Thai food. I grow thaiPeppers...
skyclad
wanted Murraya koenigii (curry plant) sappling
Hi friends, We recently move to Los Angeles area(Torrance,...
vid_nand
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™