Desert Cotton

magicgarden_az(Z9)February 13, 2008

Has anyone tried planting cotton? It has a pretty white flower with a little bit of pink. I understand it does well in SW Arizona. But, I am wondering how big it gets and if it really can take full summer sun. I wonder how woody the stems get, too. It sounds like an interesting plant - anyone have experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephanotis_1(8b AZ)

I live in Queen Creek, totally surrounded by cotton fields. From what I can see, the the flowers are pretty, but don't last very long, and are hard to see. Then when the cotton matures, the whole bush dies and turns into a brown stick with white balls of fluff on it. Really unattractive. I think a better option would be something that looks similar, but is cultivated as a garden shrub. Little leaf cordia would fit the bill, and it is great in the heat and drought conditions of the PHX area. The flowers are pretty white pompoms on a nicely foliaged bush that stays evergreen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cordia parvifolia

Bookmark   February 13, 2008 at 8:46PM
hoku1(8/Tucson)

I have a plant that is called desert cotton that is still in its winter bare state. When it leafs out, it has little leaves and gets some pretty flowers that are white with some pink on them. It does get quite leggy. I am going to cut mine way back this year when it starts to leaf out again. It grows upright about 3/4 feet, and about 2 feet wide.

Bookmark   February 24, 2008 at 10:34AM
bnk87

I have (several) desert cotton growing wild at my foothills home in Tucson. They grow well in full sun on a ridge, and only get rainwater (including a fair amount of runoff from the roof.

It is a nice, low-maintenance, broadleaf plant, but is bare in the winter and fall. The original plant of mine has grown to 5ft. x 6 ft. after 3 years. The others are growing quickly as well. Cotton production is NOT a nuisance, I hardly notice it -- but the seedlings are, they spread readily.

Bookmark   July 31, 2008 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™