Giraffe x Night Star 2011

hippiezep(11)March 22, 2014

This combination really is a winner, and I can't recommend trying it highly enough for the sheer variety of offspring types from the same parents. I've been excited to see he variety produced by night star x giraffe, and this cohort of giraffe x night start (giraffe as the seed parent this time) has a similar range.

I'd almost forgotten about these as I planted them on a piece of waste ground someone offered me - it turned out to have terrible soil full of stones and building rubble, but I remembered them today and was surprised to find 8 in bloom, and all different, ranging from deep red to almost pure yellow-green. Here they are:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dondeldux

Outstanding, you have some real beauties there!! Congratulations and keep up the good work and thanks so much for sharing them!

Donna

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 9:05AM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

This is a great demonstration of how one cross can produce so much diversity. As Donna says, plant as many seeds as you can!
K

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 9:50AM
lenanen

Breathtaking! I really, really love the shapes and colors. I'd be happy to grow any of them.

Giraffe is in the house but Night Star is missing, have to keep my eyes open.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 12:41PM
mariehass(6)

Beautiful! I had absolutely no idea that you could get such a variety!!!

Now, just because I know nothing, would the children from each of these shapes and colors be like their parents?

Marie

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 2:18PM
blancawing

The exquisite form and delicate coloration of your last hybrid captured my heart.

This simple poem by Dorothy Anderson seems apropos.

Out of the Rubble

Out of the rubble on the earth
Out of the land's darkest doom
I saw a flower bloom

Congratulations, Zep!

-Blanca

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 6:08PM
hippiezep(11)

Would the children be like the parents? I wonder too, Marie, but I don't know. I tried 16 different combinations of crosses involving night star x giraffe last spring but not a single one produced viable seed. I will try again this season and hope something might take.

Nice poem, Blancawing - it really is out of the rubble. Some of the plants were quite small due to the poor conditions, including this almost comically small individual seemingly desperate to get its flower out.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:29AM
dragonstone

I think it's so interesting that two of them are white. To think red could vanish right out of an offspring like that...

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 9:48AM
houstonpat(9a)

Nicely done!

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 9:47PM
hippiezep(11)

This is an update on the miniature comic shoot shown above which very, very nearly got thrown on to the compost heap. IâÂÂm so glad I didnâÂÂt, though, because it has produced a lovely clear greenish double-header which I have christened âÂÂgreen thumb.â I hope that with a bit of care and attention and better nutrition it can grow and prosper and continue to produce bigger and better flowers next year.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 10:24AM
blancawing

What a nice surprise. 'Green Thumb' is so cute with great color and form.

Isn't it amazing how these bulbs struggle to survive?

Cheers,

Blanca

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Did anyone get an H004?
The buds on mine are exposed and the color is looking...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Hippeastrum machupijchense pollen available
Figured it would be a waste to throw it out. My machupijchense bloomed...
brownest_thumb
Red Flaslh
If I have a favorite Komoriya bulb I think Red Flash...
jstropic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™