What to plant in odd shaded space?

silverchez(9b)February 17, 2013

Hey all,

Another newbie question :) On the south side of our "yard" (which is really a side yard) we have a cinder block wall approx. 5-6 feet high. It casts a significant shadow, so the garden looks odd with that area bare, and the rest full of rosemary.

Our house/yard is North/South facing, so it has been challenging to find what to plant in this area which is shaded, but has access to the open sky.

Any suggestions? I'd really like to try something like a flower (lavender would be divine but I don't think it would work) or an edible, but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks all in advance! I have been learning so much from everyone here :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

It's on the south side of the house, so does the wall face north?

Personally I'd be relucatant to plant anything that needs water right along the foundation of the house. (My husband forbids it but I don't need to admit that. ;-\ )

Is that a busy walkway? Is it tucked around an unused corner? I might just lay down some hi-grade astro turf and call it a day. Add some artwork to the wall.

Interested to hear what others suggest.

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 4:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silverchez(9b)

It's funny that you mention it, but the previous owners had this yucky tree/bush thing growing in that area. Once I yanked it out, I pulled out EASILY 5 feet of tree roots from under parts of the patio and along the rest of the flower bed.

With that being said, I am not too worried about planting close to the neighbors foundation, provided noone suggests any sort of tree ;)

As for the astroturf and mural...doesn't really fit with the backyard theme and I can't paint worth a crap :)

Bookmark   February 17, 2013 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™