thinning seedlings from flat

deandreamgreen(6)October 3, 2007

I'm new at gardening and just started some pak choi, tatsoi, and chinese cabbage in flats under grow lights in my basement about 9 days ago to transplant outside under cover. I sowed 3-4 seeds per cell and had high germination. Should I thin these cells all down to one seedling now?

They are only 1" cells, so I guess it's not an option to wait for the seedlings to grow bigger so I can eat the thinnings? Will that retard the progress of having seedlings ready to be transplanted outside for a mature crop?

Anybody out there grow some of these asian greens specifically to eat at the seedling stage? Or, maybe sow more thickly and eat the thinnings? I was thinking about trying to grow some of these indoors this winter just for the seedlings.

I suppose I'd need a small seed bed for this instead of the celled flats?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digit(ID/WA)

Dean, I think it will be a little difficult to get these plants to stir-fry size in (what?) 72 cells per flat. So, that would be maybe 150-200 plants in a little more than a square foot? Maybe wait until all of them would make a nice addition to a salad with a friend but you couldn't wait much longer than that.

We eat bok choy beginning when the entire plant is only about the size of my thumb and continue until just the flowering stalk is about the size of my thumb or bigger. (At that point, we are eating the stalk and flowers not the leaves.)

I think if you have sufficient seed, harvesting even the smallest size would make sense.

Steve

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 8:38PM
deandreamgreen(6)

I think they are 2" cells actually, but I get the point. So basically, the cells need to be thinned to one seedling as soon as they germinate? Guess I better get to snipping.

I don't know if sowing a bunch of seeds in a large pot (20"?) indoors would make any sense to be able to get bigger seedlings to eat for the winter. I was going to rig up a straw bale cold frame outside too, maybe that would work. Or maybe, I'll look into sprouts.

Bookmark   October 3, 2007 at 9:30PM
digit(ID/WA)

These Asian greens are hardy! And, can even survive sub-zero temperatures (altho' not well). Of course, surviving and being palatable are 2 different things.

Sproutpeople have quite a few brassica seeds. Some of these are tiny seeds so the price for those goes really ^UP^!!

digital Steve

Bookmark   October 4, 2007 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
few more tindora cuttings and roots available
free, only you have to pay the shiiping costs for a...
eswar
have anybody purchased plants from this website
Hi Friends, I am trying to buy few plants from this...
vid_nand
looking for bitter melon and lemongrass seed
I am diabetic and heard that bitter melon and lemon...
frdannylturner
lemon grass rooting from less base than I thought possible
I'd scrutinized the lemon grass at the local stores...
merrybookwyrm
south Indian red spinach seeds for exchange
I have this plant of which I don't know the name. It...
susany
Sponsored Products
Accent Rug: Solana Tan 2' x 3'
$13.49 | Home Depot
Florence Knoll Style Sofa
IFN Modern
Diamonds in the Sand Area Rug
$87.99 | Dot & Bo
Sonneman | Thick Thin Mini Wall Sconce
$190.00 | YLighting
Westbury Off-White Shade Brass Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus