Will this trick work for curry leaf plant during winter?

dochudson(6 / NYC)October 27, 2013

Hello folks,

Just came across this awesome video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXb8rJ8Rm3I

I know curry leaf plant needs little water but to avoid accidental over watering issue (like I did in the past), I wonder if this trick will work or it will lead to too much of moisture in the soil.

Since the overwatering and winter round the corner, I water once in every 2 days and my soil moisture meter shows soil as dry. I do not want to over water, at the same time, I do not want it to dry. So I liked this idea.

Any comments?

Here is a link that might be useful: keeping water in the soil but avoid water logging

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cara353

Hi: Curry leaf trees like sandy soil, like citrus or cactus mix, and they do like it dry in the winter but not desert-like. My plant was inside in direct sun all winter (I live in FL and used the native soil BIG difference from potting soil, potting soil almost killed it!) I watered only when the top soil was dry, every 3 days or so. When I had to leave on vacation, I filled a couple of 2 liter soda bottles and stuck them neck down into the soil, and it percolated as the plant needed it. My pot was about 8 gals at the time. I'm not sure if the diaper thing is such a good idea because if it keeps the soil damp, you could get root rot. Better to use the gel for water loving tropicals IMHO.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
7 year old Tatsoi mustard seed sprouted
I bought this seed seven years ago on a clearance sale...
californian
Absolutely new to Gardening: Edamame + Barley
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing when it comes...
niveus
Buying Asian veggies from the grocery stores- for planting at hom
I've noticed in markets selling Asian veggies- that...
dirtslinger2
Don't buy bitter melon seeds
At my first attempt to germinate bitter melon from...
janoyan
Malabar spinach winter care
Hi, I have one healthy green Malabar spinach vine. Any...
aaaaaaaa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™