Will this trick work for curry leaf plant during winter?

DocHudson(6 / NYC)October 27, 2013

Hello folks,

Just came across this awesome video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXb8rJ8Rm3I

I know curry leaf plant needs little water but to avoid accidental over watering issue (like I did in the past), I wonder if this trick will work or it will lead to too much of moisture in the soil.

Since the overwatering and winter round the corner, I water once in every 2 days and my soil moisture meter shows soil as dry. I do not want to over water, at the same time, I do not want it to dry. So I liked this idea.

Any comments?

Here is a link that might be useful: keeping water in the soil but avoid water logging

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cara353

Hi: Curry leaf trees like sandy soil, like citrus or cactus mix, and they do like it dry in the winter but not desert-like. My plant was inside in direct sun all winter (I live in FL and used the native soil BIG difference from potting soil, potting soil almost killed it!) I watered only when the top soil was dry, every 3 days or so. When I had to leave on vacation, I filled a couple of 2 liter soda bottles and stuck them neck down into the soil, and it percolated as the plant needed it. My pot was about 8 gals at the time. I'm not sure if the diaper thing is such a good idea because if it keeps the soil damp, you could get root rot. Better to use the gel for water loving tropicals IMHO.

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 2:53PM
More Discussions
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps
16 Foods That�ll Re-Grow from Kitchen Scraps http://wakeup-world.com/2012/10/15/16-foods-thatll-re-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/ Leeks,...
JCTsai
7 year old Tatsoi mustard seed sprouted
I bought this seed seven years ago on a clearance sale...
californian
Malabar spinach winter care
Hi, I have one healthy green Malabar spinach vine. Any...
aaaaaaaa
Angelica keiskei
Any one heard of this taiwanese vegetable? translated...
ladyjenny
Growing Taro Root
Nice article and video on how to grow Taro in your...
djkj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™