calcium deposits on fountain

foofoo(Gilbert, AZ)February 2, 2007

I know this is not exactly a gardening issue, but my fountain is in my garden and I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove calcium deposits from a concrete fountain? I've tried everthing; CLR, Limeaway, wire brush, etc. Has anyone every painted theirfountain? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kazooie(kapiti coast, NZ)

good question...i have the same problem with my fountain. i once bought a product called "no more white scale" at bed bath and beyond ($4.99 for an 8oz bottle) with the good intentions of using it, but that was short lived. my fountain has a float and automatically refills, so i never think off adding this stuff to the water until i am cleaning it out and trying to scrape off the scale.

Bookmark   February 3, 2007 at 10:51AM
foofoo(Gilbert, AZ)

We got the fountain at Southwest Garden Art in Mesa. I bought their solution to apply to eliminate or retard calcium, but it hasn't helped and I use it religiously. I change the water every two weeks in the summer and once a month in the winter. I am really temped to paint the fount, but would like to know if anyone has this problem and what have they done?

Bookmark   February 4, 2007 at 9:32PM
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I saw this filter at home depot made for foggers/misting systems that is supposed to filter out calcium deposits. You would probably have to find a way to hook that up or some other filter system or water softener up to your fountain pump. I'm not sure, but just guessing- it would need to be in the line that goes to the fountain pump instead of the line coming out of the pump in order to not affect the pump pressure.. I'm not that technical so perhaps someone else has a thought on that.
If you had a pipeline run out of the water softener (they usually dont plumb them for outside lines due to cost and prob with watering plants but you could have one specially run out) it would probably prevent a lot of the buildup.
As far as the fountain, You could get a concrete stain or even try mosiac tiling that fountain and applying a sealer over that. I am planning to mosiac a fountain with floral patterns as soon as I get all the stuff collected lol.
~SJN

Bookmark   February 12, 2007 at 11:25AM
carolssis(9)

Calcium can be removed by adding vinegar. I use it on my faucets inside the house, on my coffer maker, what ever. So why wouldn't it work in a fountain. If you tile or whatever, it will still get calcium deposits. Give the vinegar a try, see what happens.

Bookmark   February 16, 2007 at 10:36AM
More Discussions
Does anyone use straw to mulch?
I was going to buy a couple bales of straw to mulch...
captaininsano
Lizards eating tomatoes?
After several failed attempts, I've finally gotten...
kstrittmater
growing chilitepin pepper bush
I would like to grow a bush of chili tepin peppers....
carolssis
Garden Club Plant Sale Sat. Mar. 14
http://www.gardenersofeastvalley.org/gardenersofeastvalley.org/plant_sale_15.html East...
sundrop07
Palo Verde (Desert Museum) - Bends Over like Willow - Pruning?
My son lives west of Phoenix and had a Palo Verde planted...
elaineindy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™