Quail

wabikeguy(7 AB)February 26, 2011

I have been leaving bird seed and a little water out in my back yard. Yesterday I noticed a quail hen sitting in straw mulch between two small fig trees. I have a three foot wide heavily mulched bed that runs alongside and at the base of a 3 foot high rock retaining wall. She is still there, in the rain, with her wings stretched out, presumably to protect her eggs.

She's in an exposed spot, with the wall on one side and open yard on the other three sides.

I'm considering taking a length of pickett fence panel and laying it over the top of the wall at one end and out into the yard on the other to give her better concealment and a little cover, and maybe placing some seed and water nearby.

What do any of you think? Would doing that cause her to abandone her nest? She's awfully exposed. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.......Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

It's way early for quail eggs but ... possible. If it makes you feel better, do it.

If it makes YOU feel better, do it. I have had quail nest in my tomatoes, and harvested the tomatoes without scaring them off the nest.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 9:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wabikeguy(7 AB)

I checked on the bird this morning and she was dead. No eggs. I guess she was injured or sick and just laying in the straw I use for mulch. Last night was in the upper 30's with a light rain. Wish I had known. I would have brought her inside and maybe saved her.

Thanks for responding...........Dave

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
Pioneersands just lost a customer. (Bulk soil/manure/mulch)
I've been buying bulk soil(sandy loam), manure, and...
Raimeiken - z9b - Peoria, AZ
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™