Medicinal Gardening

PleatherR0seFebruary 22, 2013

I am a new gardener and decided to start my own medicinal garden.
Currently I have growing Echinacea, Feverfew, Lemon Balm, Green Thread, California Poppy, and Chamomile.
Right now I have them all in little clear cups with baby seedlings that just came up. The California Poppy and the Chamomile has not sprouted yet...But time will tell....

Is anyone else doing any medicinal gardening? Any stories or tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haname(z9 AZ NE Phoenix)

The poppies grow really easily. Just toss seeds out in October and they bloom in spring. They will reseed year after year. Once you know what the seedlings look like, you can remove other weeds and let just the poppies grow where they like. I also collect seeds to save for the next year. Mine are just now starting to shoot up some flowers. If they don't sprout, try again with them in October, and just sprinkle the seeds where you want them to grow.

I had no idea they have medicinal value, that's interesting! I found a link others might find useful. They're so pretty and attract birds and bees into the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: California Poppy Tincture

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greendesert

there are lots of plants with medicinal value. Almost everyone has some in their garden whether they know it or not. I tend to focus on edibles, but one thing I made sure to plant this time is stinging nettles. They make very healthy tea, and you can eat them just like spinach. they're very high in protein and iron..etc.
Another one I planted is lovage. People don't think of it as medicinal because it's sort of related to parsley/cilantro/celery family, but it happens to be very high in quercetin. I have a liver condition, for which quercetin is very much indicated, so why not get it right out of my garden? besides it tastes fabulous in soups. I wish I had room for an olive tree. Olive leaf extract is one of the most potent anti-viral and anti-oxidants you will find. I'm supposed to do chemo, but I'd rather do this instead of ingesting poisons.

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
'Desert Museum' and 'Sonoran Emerald' Palo Verdes
The last thread on these two trees was about a year...
dlg421
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
using hydrogen peroxide
I have long been a user of hydrogen peroxide, in my...
Sagepass
Removing thorns.
I searched this forum and didn't find anything so thought...
waterbug_guy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™