Flowering Plant in pot, full sun. Any Suggestions?

sam-2009February 27, 2009

I Have a few pots that are in full sun. I would like to find a few plants that flower, can handle our 120 degree summer heat and not loose all theirs leaves or die in the winter when we have frost at night. I definitely don't want the cacti family. I know we live in the desert but I am hoping for something more lush and full.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phoenixryan

Try something in the sage/salvia family. Mexican Bush Sage, Red Autumn Sage, there are hundreds to chose from. Harper's nursery here in Mesa had a big selection today of various types of sage. NOTHING will do well in full sun in summer in a pot unless you water it frequently.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 9:05PM
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

Try vinca. They come in a wide range of colors, are drought tolerant, grow to 1 1/2 ft. tall, and are herbaceous hardy plants z8 - 9. I have some growing for the third year now.

Bookmark   March 2, 2009 at 5:19PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

I like the suggestions you've already gotten--they're great. Gazanias are another good option as well. They don't flower much in the dead of winter, but keep their foliage and do make an occasional winter bloom, then they bloom like crazy late winter and off and on all summer. Your plants will definitely benefit from having the pot lifted off of the patio/gravel/etc by a couple of bricks or pot-feet. It will keep them just a bit cooler.

If you don't mind switching plants out twice a year, you could plant one type of plant for autumn through early summer (geraniums come to mind, or snapdragons or pansies) and then replace them with vinca, or gomphrena etc early summer through early winter, then back to geraniums etc.

But if you'd rather just plant once for years, gazania, salvia, and vinca are excellent choices.

Let us know what you do and how it works out.
Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™