Dwarf Citrus from Four Wind Growers

GoldenBerryMarch 9, 2013

I have limited backyard space here in Tempe, Az. So I planted five citrus dwarf trees from four winds. I am concerned though that they might not thrive in our Akaline soil though dut to thier acid loving cuban shaddock rootstock though. If I apply granular sulfur, iron sulfate, and Epsom salt three times a year will that help? If so, should I do those applications the first year and how much per dwarf?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azbolt

This is my go to chart for fertilizing citrus:
http://cals.arizona.edu/maricopa/garden/html/pubs/MC91.pdf

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing Citrus

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:19AM
GoldenBerry

Thanks Kevin,

Does anybody have any luck growing dwarf citrus trees in our alkaline soils? I am beginning to think I should of got standards on sour orange stock and prune them to control their potential size.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:00PM
azbolt

I have a couple of dwarf citrus trees, I don't really treat them any different than my non dwarf varieties. You can put coffee grounds around the tree, pine needles as well to help acidify the ground around them if you are concerned about the alkalinity. You can also use Miracle Gro Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food instead of your regular fertilizer as this helps acidify the soil as well.

Kevin

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 10:12AM
AJBB(9b)

The only dwarf citrus rootstock that does well in Arizona is Flying Dragon. Cuban Shaddock is a pretty poor choice for high pH environments and you will be endlessly fighting chlorosis and poor growth. You should apply sulfur and chelated iron every four months to the drip line, following the directions on the packages for application. I usually apply epsom salts at roughly a tablespoon per gallon every six months. Another option is monthly foliar feeding.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 2:50PM
GoldenBerry

Bolt do you know if your dwarf trees are on cuban shaddock rootstock? The funny thing is I bought my first dwarf trees from Greenfielf Citrus in Mesa and they had Four wind grower tags on them. I was told that greenfield only sold trees good for our soils.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 3:52PM
GoldenBerry

Bolt do you know if your dwarf trees are on cuban shaddock rootstock? The funny thing is I bought my first dwarf trees from Greenfielf Citrus in Mesa and they had Four wind grower tags on them. I was told that greenfield only sold trees good for our soils.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 3:57PM
azbolt

I think mine have flying dragon, but I wouldn't bet my life on it, I've lost the tags for both...neither suffer from alkine soil issues.

Kevin

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 6:07PM
GoldenBerry

Kevin, Do you remember where you bought your dwarf trees?

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:06PM
AJBB(9b)

Greenfield sells some Four Winds Stuff, usually kumquats, on Flying Dragon for those people looking for dwarf plants or for varieties of citrus incompatible with Sour Orange as a rootstock.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 1:42AM
GoldenBerry

I called Greenfield and they said their Four wind grower dwarf trees were not on flying dragon.

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 5:30PM
AJBB(9b)

I would recommend you avoid anything on Cuban Shaddock unless you want to baby the tree. If Four Winds is moving away from Flying Dragon, that would suck.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 12:20AM
Heatherleigh

Just remember to water low and slow. Make sure you water 3 feet down. I only use chicken manure, coffee and tea grounds, some epsom salt and sometimes I bury kitchen waste and paper near the canopy line. My citrus have been pretty happy, and many of them are dwarfs.

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:52PM
More Discussions
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
Austin roses for the desert?
I am California but your climate is closer to your...
Pete
what do you know about wisteria here in Phx area?
I LOVE IT! can I grow it. I'm willing to work at it...
ashley_whiting
drumstick tree
I was reading old posts and this tree sounds great. I...
calb_gardner
Which plants they are?
Anyone can help me identify these 3 plants? I have...
lenering
Sponsored Products
Patterson Aged Brass One-Light Flush Mount
$376.00 | Bellacor
Nassau Old Bronze Flush Mount
$376.00 | Bellacor
Preston Old Bronze Flush Mount
$376.00 | Bellacor
Nassau Polished Nickel Three-Light Flush Mount
$590.00 | Bellacor
Nassau Historic Nickel Two-Light Flush Mount
$482.00 | Bellacor