Boojum tree

mastergardenator(7)March 17, 2010

Hello!

I was at the botanical gardens the other day and saw a boojum tree!

Now I really want one

Where can I buy one of these wonderful trees

and (with regular watering) how fast would it grow if i was able to obtain one?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turtleman49(AZ)

I grow ours out in the open in full sun (even in the summers) people will tell you they are "winter" growers, but that's not really true,, it is true that they slow down allot in our summers but if they are kept shaded during the summer they continue to grow during our summer months. All mine do fine in our freezes even during the freeze of 06, they can handle temps into the low teens. As far as special care... "Water Them", just allow it to dry out in between irrigation's I think they do best when ignored.

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 10:57AM
riverchick

I have a boojum tree that is about 20 feet tall. I am in Mohave County in Arizona. Looking to find someone who would like to give this tree a good home for a reasonable cost. Anyone interested?

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 2:13PM
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

I'm hooked now too. Turtleman, interested in selling some? If you're near Phoenix.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 7:21AM

OK, so I'm a little slow. I don't click on the link Turtleman provided because I'm so jaded from bad info on the web. So I'm out Goggling Boojum trees because I'm now hooked and must have some today...search, search search and I finally find a place...it's wholesale but they sometimes sell retail and they have a forum. So I sign up and start looking around the forum and who do I find...Turtleman. I come back here to read Turtleman's post a little closer, try the link and its the same source I found after 20 minutes of searching.

I ran into your site months ago and probably registered but lost track.

Turtleman, when is the next quarterly inventory yard sale? I'd rather be able to pick up than ship.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 8:06AM

Got 4 today. Initially I wanted all 2,000, but talked myself down to 8. Wife talked me down to 4 with that must illogical of questions, "where are they going to go"?

I've always wanted a Grandidier's Baobab, Adansonia grandidieri, which isn't really doable. The Boojum will have to fill that desire. Thanks Turtleman. Always nice getting plants directly from the grower.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 6:46PM
shamusoleary(On the couch)

Reeds # 602-504-9787.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 10:31AM
rbjr45(9a)

I saw one too just yesterday. from what I was told is that the boojum tree will start growing if there is any moisture or rain that has fallen. don't know if that was already said.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 2:18PM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

Waterbug guy, so how are your boojum trees doing? I just got a bunch from Reed about two weeks ago and just put it in the ground before it got too dry. Now I just have to wait. Nick

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 2:08AM
mastergardenator(7)

mine is still about 3 inches tall (2 years old)
it dies back in summer and grows back really well in the winter and spring

i have it in a 8in pot thats about foot deep

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 2:43AM
mickeyperreaud(z9AZ)

I just got one for my husband for his birthday. We live in the town of Cave Creek. There is a wonderful cactus nursery out here on Cave Creek road just south of Carefree Highway.
We have it inside by a window and it is doing great. I have to just make sure that the D Cats don't chew on it. My husband waters it about once every other week a little water.
The nursery has several sizes all the way to ones costing thousands of dollars.
Mickey

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 12:55PM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

Matergardenator and Mickey do guys have plans to put it in the ground? I put mine in this rocky slope part of my yard where it got plenty of sun. I planned on putting in a circular drip during its "growing season" from November through March and we'll see. This is what Reed has on his trees and they are doing great. Now , just have to wait .

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 5:24PM
nickw252

What nurseries in Phoenix carry boojum trees?

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 10:55PM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

Nick, I got mine (10) from a grower in Glendale. His name is Reed( # 602-504-9787), very nice guy who knows his Boojum stuff. His is in 1 gal pot. Arizona Cactus Sales in Chandler has larger size selections. It's their growing season, hope you get some soon. Nick

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 12:25AM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

I was just at Arizona Cactus Sales this past weekend and, as usual, they had a nice selection of boojum trees in various sizes, from seedlings to grapefruit-sized trunks to log-sized trunks and then truly giant specimens. Great stuff.

My little boojum in a pot in the southwest corner of my garden looks as happy this week as it has EVER looked. The recent record cold and then record rains didn't bother it at all. I need to get it in the ground SOON.

Happy gardening!
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Arizona Cactus Sales nursery

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 3:09PM
nickw252

Anyone care to post pics?

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:43PM
mickeyperreaud(z9AZ)

I have no plans to put mine out side or in the ground. Too many animals eat my plants were I live. I rather take my chances with the cats.
I would love several more if someone finds them real cheap.
Mickey

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 9:56PM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

Mickey, I too have lots of critters that eat my stuff. I suspect cotton tails and jack rabbits...boy if only I could round up all of them and put them in a room with my dogs..hmm. I corralled my small boojum trees in the ground with half inch wire mesh that I got from the feed store for $5 . I planted them in staggered rows about six feet apart. I really want to see a groove of Boojum trees in 5-7 years...time will go by fast.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:27AM
mickeyperreaud(z9AZ)

Nick,
I live out in the town of Cave Creek. I had a bob cat sleeping in my front court yard! Rabbits and nothing the coyotes keep their numbers down.
My large in size problem was the javelina,so my husband put up a fence so they couldn't climb over the wall any more. To help matters out he also put up an electric fence for me. That helped a lot.
I found the major culprit was the pack rat. I had no clue hoe many pack rats we have out here until I started trapping them. I live trapped 50 this summer. You can not use a poison on rats. I won't go in to my long reason why but the nest creature that eats the poisoned pack rat will be killed. Than includes javelina, all hanks, owls and coyotes.
If you ever have the time you should take a drive up to the cactus nursery up here on Cave Creek Road south of Carefree Highway. Their boujums the larger ones are over 15 feet. They have one there that is split like a y too. It is an amazing place.
Mickey

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:11PM
toucan(9)

Hey Waterbug_guy, why can't you have a Grandidier's Baobab, Adansonia grandidieri. I love that tree. Wouldn't that tree do great out here in Phoenix. How can we get one? Who's selling that.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 10:23PM
webuser_17497

You can buy seeds on ebay

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 10:37AM
dan_corson(9)

to: riverchick.
Do you still have that Boojum tree you are interested in selling?

Thanks! for the update!

dan

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 10:04PM

Sorry I lost track of this thread. Here's an update after 3 years in the ground.

This one got the most sun, pretty much all day. It's the largest branch wise, but all are about the same trunk wise.

The other 3 were planted on the east side of house, about 5-6' away from the house. As you can see the one closest to the house isn't doing too well, not many leaves. But the leaves it does have look good. Its trunk is as tall as the others but smaller diameter. Because of less sun? Don't know. Given how uniform these all grew relative to amount of sun it's my only guess. It will be interesting to see if growth improves with more sun.

All 4 got the same water....a lot. On drip, pretty much everyday, standing water type deal. Planted in not amended soil which is top soil but a lot of clay. I do turn down the water in middle of summer, but I watered these for months when dormant. They seemed to handle the wet conditions fine.

I water them a lot thinking I could get more growth by extending their season. Nope. As soon as it just starts getting hot the leaves turned brown and they were done til winter. All 4 went brown at the same time and rather suddenly. And it has to get pretty cool to leaf out again. As far as I can tell water (rain or city) doesn't seem to affect leafing out. Kind of like a cat...don't really seem to care what I do, they just do their own thing. A very contrarian plant.

I was thinking of tossing these. I don't really like dead looking stuff. I've been redoing the yard and all 4 had to be moved or removed. After some noodling I found a new spot for them...so moving time.

Biggest was up first. I wrapped the branches because they are a little brittle and not sure how they would react to pruning.

I had no idea what kind of root structure these have so I started digging pretty far out from the trunk. Didn't find many roots at all. Dug down pretty far wondering if there was a tap root.

Turned out no tap root and no roots pointing down. What you see in the pic is pretty much all there was. Dirt fell away pretty easy and it ended up being very light.

The new location is full sun, on an elevated 18" bank I just made. They're right next to the broken concrete retaining wall, so soil wise this is going to be tougher on them.

Once I understood the root structure the other 3 were easy and the soil stayed with the root ball so very little disturbance.

All of a sudden I like these a lot more. Being up off the ground makes seeing their trunks easier. And working with them rekindled my appreciation. The mix of nice little green leaves and almost white branches and horns is attractive imo. The trunks are impressive to me and will be more so as they grow. The horns aren't as bad to deal with as they look which surprised me. Growth seems slow, I don't really notice them grow, but in 3 years they have actually grown a lot. The biggest is 4-5' across now.

One plus to the slow growth is it did allow me to plant them in a spot where a mature plant couldn't be since maturity is a long ways off. I initially placed them into spots they could grow into and I think that was a mistake. In the new spot they already look mature, like they belong, rather as something waiting to grow into a spot.

This week they're my fav desert plant I have. Next summer... probably less fav.

I will dial back the water. The roots look like they're made for sucking up water once in awhile and don't extend very far out.

Bookmark   December 28, 2014 at 3:56AM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

Nice job Water bug ! I too water mine A LOT! Here's one of mine that been in the ground for about two and a half years. It has three heads!

Bookmark   December 30, 2014 at 12:57PM

I didn't realize they did that. 3 heads, like the trunk split into branches? Or babies at the base?

I was wondering yesterday how these reproduce. I stuck a few broken branches into soil in a pot to see if they would root. No clue.

Is yours full sun?

Bookmark   December 30, 2014 at 11:24PM

I Googled for how these reproduce...flowers. Maybe they have to be older.

But I also saw some picture of them branching and growing in crazy shapes. When I first looked into these this is the only type of shape I remember seeing.

At their growth rate I guess I don't have to worry about the giant crazy shapes in my lifetime.

Bookmark   December 30, 2014 at 11:32PM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

I'm sure mine started to divide at the base after I planted it. I have several "two" heads that clearly came from two seeds. Keep doing what you are doing, time goes by fast. I hope you're still around to see them 7 feet tall. Yes , it's in full sun.

Bookmark   December 31, 2014 at 12:50AM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

I'm sure mine started to divide at the base after I planted it. I have several "two" heads that clearly came from two seeds. Keep doing what you are doing, time goes by fast. I hope you're still around to see them 7 feet tall. Yes , it's in full sun.

Bookmark   December 31, 2014 at 12:52AM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

I'm sure mine started to divide at the base after I planted it. I have several "two" heads that clearly came from two seeds. Keep doing what you are doing, time goes by fast. I hope you're still around to see them 7 feet tall. Yes mine is in full sun

Bookmark   December 31, 2014 at 12:55AM

You started some from seed too? Or did yours produce seed? I haven't seen anything close to a bloom.

7' feet would be cool. The 50 footers in some pictures I saw, probably not going to see those.

Bookmark   December 31, 2014 at 11:01AM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

Oh no I didn't started from seeds. I too went crazy and bought ten from the guy in Glendale. The one you see is from Arizona Cactus Sale. BTW, I also wanted a Baobab tree too:). My wife said she'll take me to South Africa one day to see them. Hey, you should try Aloe Dichotoma, they're spectacular and grow lots faster than boojum.

Bookmark   December 31, 2014 at 11:29AM

That Aloe Dichotoma is spectacular and I could see a lot of uses for that. Never seen it before. But it doesn't scratch my Baobab itch. Fat smooth trunk and the shape of that canopy.

I've been thinking about building a small scale fake one from concrete, steel branches. Get Cat's Claw or Hacienda Creeper to grow up inside and out onto the branches. I collected rebar from political signs for this project but I go back and forth on having a fake tree. It is done in some great gardens, and are well thought of, so maybe I should... someday.

Bookmark   December 31, 2014 at 2:48PM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

The mature A Dichotoma in person is stunning! The nursery on Cave Creek Rd has lots of them. A metal Baobab? That's I got to see. Sounds like it's already completed in your head. Can't wait to see it.

Bookmark   December 31, 2014 at 5:39PM

The trunk would be mortar over steel. The trunks already look almost like mortar to me in texture and even color...though I'd have to study that closer. Maybe a little reddish tint. And then the branches where thinner would be just steel.

I think I'd start small, maybe 6', learn and maybe try taller if it went OK. Viewed from maybe 20' away they might look real,,,cause not something people are used to.

Kind of strange for the image of a Baobab to get so stuck in a person's head. I feel like Richard Dreyfuss in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Bookmark   January 1, 2015 at 12:57AM
toucan(9)

I like the A Dichotoma. Sounds perfect for our climate.

When you get the baobab tree built, show us some pix.

Bookmark   January 2, 2015 at 9:56AM

One of the transplants is not looking good. This was the first one that I'd removed a lot of dirt from while the others I kept the soil around the roots.

All of them lost some leaves right away, but that seems to have stopped now. The one that was almost bare has lost all leaves. I'm hoping the plants have just gone into reduced water mode due to suddenly fewer roots. We'll see. Will wait at least a year as long as the trunks look OK.

Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 11:48AM
Nick.2013(9a-9b)

Water bug, I wouldn't be too concern about it. It's normal for them to drop all their leaves after the transplant shock. It's on a raised bed so drainage is good. I would throw a screen over it to reduce some sun ray ( I would keep a screen on all your recent transplant this summer!). This is their growing time so you can mist it so the branches won't be too desicated. We're getting some rain soon so it'll help. When do we see your metal baobab tree?

Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 12:48PM

I'm watering once a day, but not much water, no catch basins. Unfortunately for any plant in my yard there won't be any sun screening.

The concrete baobab tree is right after 7 other projects I have currently started. But how much time would a short tree take to build? All my projects start with that question. Unfortunately the answer is always the same...a lot longer than I thought.

This post was edited by waterbug_guy on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 19:51

Bookmark   January 29, 2015 at 4:26PM
ricardo1935

I kept mine in a window in my house for several years and watched it grow to about three inches tall. Then I planted it outside and kept it protected from the full sun during the hot summer months for two years. When it was perhaps four inches tall my daughter accidentally ran over it with a lawn mower, cutting it off to almost ground level. I kept watering it and now, two years later, it is about eight inches tall and has developed a trunk. Even though it was covered with ice about six weeks ago when we had a deep freeze, the green leaves have reappeared and it is looking very good. It is one tough S.O.B.

Bookmark   February 15, 2015 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™