H. evansiae

jimnpa (zone6a PA USA)March 6, 2011

I've been enjoying this lovely little gem of a species for the past few days. It is about as "yellow", as a flower can get! I almost missed it bloomimg in my basement "jungle"!

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Nice!! mine had a slighly more pronounced pink star in the middle! More photos from the jungle please!!
Kristi

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 11:17AM
dondeldux

Lovely little yellow flower.. your basement jungle looks as neat as always, got anything else blooming?

Donna

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 1:48PM
joshy46013

Kristi,

The pink is more prominent with cooler weather and brighter lighting! Sometimes mine appear to be almost completely pink, just depends on the conditions when it blooms!

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 2:05PM
joshy46013

Oh and BTW, there is an almost pure yellow specie that has been been recollected that was thought to be extinct... I cant say much about it other than it is absolutely yellow, much more so than H. evansiae!

Shortly there will be a book published by a botanist in Bolivia that is re-evaluating the genera. I wish I could show you guys the pictures, it's incredible! Hopefully if all goes according to plan the book will be published at the end of the year and the pictures will be released!

Josh

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 2:11PM
AsarumGreenPanda(z6 MA)

It's lovely, Jim. I especially like how, in your photos, it looks like it's glowing.

My current growing situation is too cold for this one, I believe, but, when I move (this spring), it goes to the top of the want list.

Amanda

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 4:25PM
joshy46013

Who has interest in yellow flowers?

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 1:44PM
houstonpat(9a)

Good job Jim. I've noticed my H.e. showing scapes. Kristi, It's a recent purchase from Joshua's.
Josh, like many folks I'm interested in yellow Hippeastrum. I've made several crosses between tangarine orange and 'Yellow Pioneer', and orange and 'Lemon Lime'. None came out darker yellow. All sorts on mongrel mixed paterns. One of the few plants I'm saving room for is the Yellow Crinum from OZ. Any word on availability at a reasonable price?

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 3:46PM
bubbles68

Hi Jim, I just saw your photos, do you have any seeds to this beautiful yellow hippeastrum? I am very desperate to get seeds to a yellow like this can you help? Do you know anyone else who may have seeds? Please contact me at couturecol@adam.com.au

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 5:46AM
More Discussions
Need ID help
I rescued this NOID from a local garden center yesterday....
jessiann63
Komoriya's Oriental Lady
This is a new bulb that I purchased several weeks ago...
dondeldux
Friday night....star and group photos
Well, we aren't the only one who likes H. Night Star...group...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Mr. Patchy
Both flowers have these white patches, non other around...
brigarif Khan
My doubles
My Hippeastrums which I jokingly called Mutts are actually...
brigarif Khan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™