Vines for a west-facing 6 ft stucco wall?

scott85258(8)March 2, 2011

I could use some advice. I've searched the vines FAQ and am still not sure what to choose. I have a long (25 ft) west-facing 6 ft. wall and I have installed concrete reinforcing wire for trellis. I need to plant a cover for the wall to provide some heat protection for a new raised bed vegetable garden. I am planting sunflowers in the front of the garden bed for shade, and want to protect the back wall from heat.

What would those of you with some experience recommend? I want something that is evergreen, could be removed if needed (eliminates cats claw, trumpet vine) and ideally attracts hummingbirds.

I am considering Cape Honeysuckle or the Mexican Flame Vine (if I can find it). Having never planted a vine in Arizona, I'd appreciate any advice. I live in Scottsdale. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

How about something edible and heat-tolerant, but not evergreen?

Armenian cucumber, luffa, hyacinth bean (lab-lab bean) are all annuals.

Flowers nicely, can be removed: Queen's wreath, yellow orchid vine, hardenbergia

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 1:08PM
scott85258(8)

Thanks. I am getting either the yellow orchid vine or some Ladybanks Roses for that area. Appreciate the feedback.

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 10:00AM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

You got some great suggestions and your list of Final Candidates is great too. Let us know what you select and how it works out.

I've got an orange cross vine ('Tangerine Beauty') on a scalding hot south-facing wall and it's done great for almost four years now (and totally undamaged by this winter's freezes). I couldn't be happier with it.

Updates are encouraged. :)
Take care,
Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Tangerine Beauty crossvine

Bookmark   March 9, 2011 at 3:18PM
scott85258(8)

I spoke with people at 4 nurseries and finally decided on the Ladybanks roses. I planted four yellow ones along the west-facing wall, and a white one in a different area facing south to block off my pool pump/filter from view.

Thanks for the help.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 1:46PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

why not GRAPES ??? ;)

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
Boojum tree
Hello! I was at the botanical gardens the other day...
mastergardenator
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™