dying azalea (everest)

Hollywog(z7soIL)September 25, 2005

I purchased several azaleas and rhodo's to put along the back side of my house this spring. I also planted eunonymous, a rosebush, and some ornamental grass in the same area. Everything seems to be thriving with the exception of one rhodo (it is dead, Dead, DEAD already) and now the white 'everest' azalea bush is turning brown on me. I watered them regularly, but not too much, they are getting ample sunlight, but not too much, and all but the one bush are doing just fine. They have an eastern exposure. Can anyone tell me what could be wrong with the little guy? I'd really like to save him!! His leaves are almost gone, but he still has a good amount of green on him mixed in with the brown.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

The first two things to look for might be planting too deeply (those surface roots won't function buried too deep), or not loosening the rootball prior to planting. If roots are still compacted into their pot shape, you can be watering the surrounding soil with no moisture penetrating to the roots, plant becomes too dry and dies.

Bookmark   September 25, 2005 at 2:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Check the moistness -- or not -- of the original rootball. The rootball may be dry in spite of watering and/or rainfall.

Bookmark   September 26, 2005 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Party Pink
Can anyone help me to find a rhododendron named Party...
Giacamo
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™