Tomato transplant - spacing of plants

ldramey01March 28, 2011

I'm a newbie to vegetable gardening and have a question on tomato plant spacing and possibly transplanting some of mine. I started some tomato plants and they're all doing well, but some much better than others and I think it may be due to planting them close together. I have raised beds with great soil and was told I could get away with packing my beds fuller than you'd be able to in desert soil. I was limited on space when I first planted but now have opened up a lot more space with great exposure for tomatoes, should I transplant some of the smaller plants that aren't doing that well into the better location or are they too fragile? Any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

I guess it all depends. Are your varieties determinant or indeterminate? Are you caging them or staking them or weaving them or trellising them or just letting them sprawl?

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 1:21PM
ldramey01

I have Roma, Patio and Celebrity tomatoes and I'm staking the plants that have grown very quickly (and tall). Hope that helps and I really appreciate any advice, thanks!

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 7:16PM
mangledmind(AZ 9B)

2-4 feet apart depending on variety ... they need AIR and LIGHT to reduce molds, mildews and other diseases ... plus this gives you easy access to address critters and to prune, pick fruit ...

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 8:46PM
thisisme(az9b)

All three are determinate varieties. You do know you are going to get a lot of tomatoes all at once and then all your plants are going to die? Anyway I would stake them 2ft apart as they are short lived and relatively small as far as tomato plants go.

You should go to the link at the bottom and read it.

Here is a link that might be useful: What is the difference between

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 9:46PM
mister_gin(z9 AZ)

Spacing is a number that varies from person to person. It also depends on how you grow and care for them. I grow indeterminate toms with 18 inch spacing in my raised bed. But I cage and prune them. I try to grow more for variety than quantity. Some wouldn't consider going this close while others may go with 12 inch spacing.

I've only grown Roma once, but 18 inch spacing was doable. The plant didn't get very big for me so maybe I got lucky. I'd say a 2 foot spacing is more than adequate.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
green landscaping maintenance co sought
Hi all, I converted my yard to partial desert landscaping...
drmeow3
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™